Would you ever visit Mongolia?

Discussion in 'The Golden Horde' started by Apocales, Jan 2, 2017.

?

Would you ever visit Mongolia?

This poll will close on Oct 2, 2081 at 12:37 PM.
Yes 7 vote(s) 77.8%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Johnson 2 vote(s) 22.2%
  1. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +12,804 / 81 / -138
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Bluto: 155,887 Points Jan 3, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,367 / 3 / -43
    As an outdoors enthusiast, I'd love Mongolia.

Apparently 11% of the country is protected area, with plans to increase that to 18% making it the largest National Parks system in the world. With only 2.5 million people, Mongolia has the lowest population density in the world. :agree:.

My uncle's a Great White Hunter who bagged a Mongol Bighorn (Altai Argali) there.

[IMG]

They also have enormous Ibexes, deer, wolves--tons o' wildlife. I'd reckon the fishing is good, too.

I'm planning a trek on the North shore of Lake Baikal; to get to the launch-point in Irkutsk I need to layover in either Tokyo, Seoul or Ulan Bator.

No brainer.
    Apocales: 73,179 Points Jan 2, 2017
  3. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,395 / 55 / -19
    Dis tread moar appropriately belongs in The Golden Horde, Apocales ya runt.
    Apocales: 73,179 Points (:D) Jan 2, 2017
    Johnson: 152,048 Points Jan 2, 2017
    Bluto: 155,887 Points (Imitation is da finest form o' flattery, ya runt.) Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,367 / 3 / -43
    Go in July to see the country's biggest sports extravaganza, Naadam, a tradition of wrasslin' that dates to Neolithic times there.

Wrasslin' is the most important of the Mongolian culture's historic "Three Manly Skills", that also include horsemanship and archery. It was naturally a military sport intended to provide mainly strength, stamina and skills training to troops, thus from the days of the Greta Khan through later Emperors the competitions were formalized in the Naadam.

[IMG]

The stripped-down traditional form may seem a bit ghey to the West, but I'm sure the Mongols don't think so.

No weight classes, where simply touching anything other than a foot to the ground loses the match.

There was an interesting cultural disconnect at the Rio Olympics a few months ago that demonstrated the Mongol wrasslin' spirit:

"Two Mongolian wrestling coaches who staged an angry at the Rio Olympics have been banned."

"Two Mongolian wrestling coaches who tore their clothes off in anger following a controversial refereeing decision at the Rio Olympics have been suspended for three years."

"Coaches Tserenbaatar Tsogbayar and Byambarinchen Bayaraa both stripped off and hurled their shoes to the floor after their wrestler Mandakhnaran Ganzorig was judged to have lost the 65kg bronze medal contest against Uzbekistan’s Ikhtiyor Navruzov."

[IMG]

"Ganzorig, leading by seven points to six, taunted his opponent by dancing around him in the last 18 seconds and was then carried around the ring in triumph by one of his coaches. But moments later the judges adjusted the score to 7-7, penalising the Mongolian for “fleeing the hold”, or refusing to engage."

"They then added a further point to the Uzbek’s score after the Mongolian corner had their challenge rejected."

[IMG]

"As Ganzorig crouched down in disbelief, both coaches advanced towards the judges while stripping."

"The coaches were restrained by officials – and have now been suspended."

[IMG]

Mongols have always been strong in international competition, but these guys will still be able to coach grapplin' in the All-Ethnic Tournament which pits only ethnic Mongols from Russia, China and Mongolia.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List