World's Longest Recreational Trail

Discussion in 'Ty Cobb Hates You' started by Giada, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    Where to Find the World's Longest Recreational Trail

It’s in Canada, where the 14,864-mile path will be fully completed in 2017.

Finishing what will be the longest recreational trail in the world is not a bad way to celebrate a birthday. The Trans Canada Trail—often called The Great Trail—will be a network of paths stretching across Canada’s 10 provinces and three territories. The project began in 1992 and 90percent of it—21,452 kilometers—is currentlyconnected. The organization plans to have the network fully completed by 2017, to coincide with Canada’s 150th anniversary.
    CityLab previously covered a similar initiative in the United States: The East Coast Greenway, a proposed 3,000-mile bike path running from Florida to Maine, is a little over 30 percent completed after 25 years of work. But while the East Coast Greenway tracks through the region’s towns and cities, cleaving fairly close to the edge of the country, The Great Trail ranges all across Canada, beginning in Victoria, British Columbia, shooting all the way through the Yukon and Northwest Territories, and circling back around to terminate in St. Johns, Newfoundland and Labrador.
    RELATED STORY

[IMG]

The Canadian trail network caters to cyclists, but also hikers and horseback riders; in the winter, cross-country skiiers and snowmobilers are common sights. Large stretches of the trail—around 26 percent—track alongside rivers and lakes, according to Condé Nast Traveler. Currently, 28 percent of the trail is accessible to motor vehicles; that number is expected to increase to 32 percent next year.
    Community-based efforts have brought the The Great Trail into existence; according to the nonprofit Trans Canada Trail organization, it’s “truly a gift from Canadians to Canadians.” Local organizations, provincial governments, and municipalities oversee and maintain the sections of trail that pass through their area of purview. Some sections of the network, like the Kawartha trail through Ontario, run along abandoned Canada Pacific and Canadian Nationalrail lines. Mimicking the Rails to Trails movement in the U.S., the Canadian rail organization donated unused tracks to the provinces for conversion into pedestrian pathways.
    In advance of the 2017 goal for the project’s completion, the Government of Canada is matching 50 cents to every dollar donated to the project. (The Canadian government has already chipped in in the past, funneling $15 million through the Department of Canadian Heritage, and $10 million through Parks Canada in 2010.) Speaking to Condé Nast Traveler, the Trans Canada Trail president and CEO Deborah Apps said: “2017 is just the beginning of our story. The Trail will never be complete. We will continue to build and improve this treasure for generations to come.”
    CORRECTION: This post has been updated to note that the trail is not car-free, and to clarify language about provinces and territories.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/09/where-to-find-the-worlds-longest-recreational-trail/500366/

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Georg Schoenerer: 13,973 Points Mar 9, 2017
    Ozzy Bon Halen: 96,866 Points Mar 13, 2017
    Bluto: 177,742 Points Mar 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,831 / 3 / -43
    About twenty years ago, someone gave me a Christmas gift that was a certificate in my name sponsoring one metre of the trail. I got my name inscribed on a plaque in a little kiosk about 1/2 a click from my home. I heard this "inscription" donor program was capped at 100,000 names, now you just get to donate.

The trail's ok for dogwalkers and the like, mostly older chinks on it these days, I used to cycle it from time to time.

There's a mad frenzy to complete the trail this year for the country's 150th birthday. Fundraising consultants have elected a few Canadian celebrities to be "National Champions" and shill for the trail. Martin Short of Ed Grimley fame is one.

A lot of companies are on board with $500K donations (becoming "Chapter 150" members) or if you can only put up $100K you can be a "Leadership" donor.

I think they should allocate at least some money to pay a guy to pick up all the dogshit along the trail.
    Giada: 91,767 Points Mar 10, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. VisKnut Abyss

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,653 / 35 / -103
    The Trans Can Trail near me is a gravel road used by drunken teenagers in pick up trucks and mennonites.
    Giada: 91,767 Points (Mennonites hanging out on the Trans Can Trail. lol.) Mar 11, 2017
  4. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38

The trail needs these:

[IMG]
  5. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,831 / 3 / -43
    good idea in theory, but you know those chinese:

[IMG]
    Giada: 91,767 Points (Ugh, haven't seen that before. :() Mar 11, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. VisKnut Abyss

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,653 / 35 / -103
    Funny...err. not really, because I see that shit in a bag hang tree everytime I go hiking where others go and I just can't get my head around it. Spending the effort to pick up the shit and spending even more effort to tie it to a tree. I don't hike where a lot of people tread, but if my dog shits on the path, I just kick it off into the bush.
    Georg Schoenerer: 14,293 Points Mar 12, 2017
  7. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,831 / 3 / -43

That's called doing the white thing.
  8. fuz al-nufi Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +6,248 / 331 / -379
    i lived rite next to trans canada trail for a year in nova scotia. Went through a really nice bird sanctuary and micro-climate with lots of wildlife. I would only bike it tho if the ground were dry because there was so much dog-shit everywhere. Even if people do pickup after themselves they often leave little bits on the trail. It adds up and if ur biking on a wet day and don't have a rear tire guard u'll endup with bits of mud and dogshit all over ur back. Really used to piss me off all these normies using the public trail as a toilet for their stupid dogues.
    4PortHub: 11,450 Points (Similar to beaming parents acting like the sneezes and coughs of their babies are not as germy as those of old people.) Mar 12, 2017