When People Thought Dungeons & Dragons Was An 'Invitation To Devil Worship'

Discussion in 'Gaming and Technology' started by Apocales, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,081 / 84 / -144

This is great, people must not have had any real problems!

Dungeons and Dragons was once accused of leading children to Satanism, but today the game looks more like a solution to a problem plaguing modern parenting.

source--
    http://digg.com/video/dungeons-dragons-media-panic
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Bluto: 115,623 Points Jun 22, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Roy Fokker Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,019 / 171 / -261
    This a hilariously awful movie starring Tom Hanks called Mazes and Monsters that was inspired by Dungeons and Dragons fear-mongering. The character Tom Hanks plays flips out and comes to believe that he's the character that he plays in the game. :agree:

I don't remember any Satanic practices when I played D&D as a kid- just lots of soda, chips and characters with names like Lisa the Lesbo-licker, Drathlor the Whore-monger, Kree-ton, Wench-woman, Bob the Fighter, Arutarda and a host of other comical monickers. My friends and I used to hugely mock the travelers in special ed in school and many of our D&D characters were based on real-life retards (or late 80s/early 90s pro wrestlers- one cheeky fellow made a D&D version of Kamala) :agree:
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,395 / 29 / -85
    When People Thought Dungeons & Dragons Was An 'Invitation To Devil Worship'

Huh; I always thought it was an invitation to even less pussy than I was already getting. Correctly, might I add.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    fuz al-nufi: 46,428 Points Jul 6, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +16,705 / 66 / -167
  5. Roy Fokker Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,019 / 171 / -261
  6. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,192 / 36 / -85
    You gotta get with the times, old man. A Skyrim or Game of Thrones t-shirt is an easy in with lots of these hipster and millenial chicks. Plenty of them love the fact that I look like a character out of one of these sword and sorcery stories. The same ones are also inexplicably offended that I actually receive professional training in the use of swords and other pointy things, but nowhere near as put off by that as by the fact that I feel a man has an obligation to defend women and children.
  7. Man Against Time Black Hole Melchizedek

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,845 / 126 / -271
    The entire concept sounds preposterous but unfortunately many of the extreme, fundamentalist, overly paranoid, and most superstitious of Christians really do believe that type of shit, as in the purchase of any commercial good with a dragon on its cover is a means by which demons can be led onto one's property. I know this because as a child I personally had to argue the point with a certain elder who fit the above description over owning Nintendo games like "Dragon Warrior" and shit like that. Where this idea originally stems from I do not know, but probably from 90's apocalyptic Christian talk radio I'd imagine. If you don't believe me, just find one of those radio shows that accept callers on the AM dial and I'm sure they cannot be much different today. Once you've found a show where every sixth word from the host is "Antichrist," or where one quotes a transcript delivered by the Virgin Mary herself during some vision and mentions how the visionary suffers daily attacks from packs of demons for her piety, you're on the right track. In some cases, you'll find a show where both those themes and audiences converge, producing some crazy form of syncretism involving apocalyptic fundamentalist evangelicals and anti-Vatican II ultra-conservative Marian Catholics.