Today Show (((host))) fired for "inappropriate sexual behavior in workplace"

Discussion in 'Hot off the Wire' started by Bluto, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,647 / 68 / -168
    [IMG]
    Yep, iconic, longtime NBC's Today Show host (((Matt Lauer))) has been shit-canned for hebrew-style muh dik-

jewgate continues
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Ozzy Bon Halen: 155,074 Points (not muh dik, but muh schmekel!) Nov 29, 2017
  2. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,647 / 68 / -168
  3. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,825 / 3 / -43
  4. The Bobster Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,320 / 2 / -17
    https://decider.com/2017/11/29/matt-...889.1509760862

Matt Lauer Firing: A History of His Biggest Scandals And Grossest Controversies
    By Claire Spellberg @c_spellberg |Nov 29, 2017 at 11:00am

[IMG]
    Photo: Getty Images

Today, NBC fired Matt "Der Schnozzle" Lauer, longtime host of the network’s popular morning show Today for “inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.” Lauer’s co-anchor Savannah "Lipless Amazon" Guthrie made the announcement at the beginning of this morning’s episode, noting, via News Chairman Lack’s statement to NBC staff, that the company “has reason to believe [Lauer’s behavior] may not have been an isolated incident.”

Later this morning, Page Six reported that the incident occurred at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. A source told Page Six that “This happened so quickly. She didn’t go to the media, she made a complaint to NBC’s human resources, and her evidence was so compelling that Matt was fired on Tuesday night. The victim says she has evidence that this has also happened to other women, but so far we don’t have evidence of that.”

Lauer is no stranger to controversy. In his twenty years at NBC, he’s come under fire for providing his co-anchor’s personal information on-air, going soft on Trump during the 2016 Presidential Debates, engaging in rumored extramarital affairs, and more. At this point, it’s possible that Lauer is better known for his extracurricular scandals than his work as an anchor.

If you’re interested in the soapy details, we’ve got you covered. Here are all of the Lauer controversies—big and small—that made us say, “WTF, Matt Lauer?”

In 2012, Ann Curry left Today after serving as Lauer’s co-anchor for only a year. Lauer and Curry didn’t have the best chemistry, ratings began to slide, and NBC execs forced Curry out. Tabloids blamed Lauer for her oust, even though the host has publicly said that “there was nothing we could do as it was happening, and we all felt bad about it.”

When Anne Hathaway visited Today to promote Les Miserables, she had suffered an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction just a few days earlier. Upon greeting the star on the show, Lauer opened with, “Nice to see you. Seen a lot of you lately.” Gross.

In 2014, Lauer interviewed GM CEO Mary Barra about her work at the auto giant. “Given the pressures of this job at General Motors, can you do both well?” asked the anchor. Barra answered the question with a version of “Yes, duh,” but Lauer was later criticized for asking what many viewers perceived to be a sexist question.

During the summer of 2016, rumors that co-hosts Matt Lauer and Natalie Morales were having an affair rocked Today after Morales left NBC for Access Hollywood. Both parties vehemently denied having an intimate relationship, but that didn’t stop the press from speculating about a potential scandal.

Lauer hosted the first Presidential Debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in September 2016, and things did not go well for the host-turned-moderator. Left-leaning viewers criticized Lauer for repeatedly interrupting Clinton, pressuring her to answer questions about her e-mails, and not fact checking some of Trump’s more outlandish comments. For a funnier take on the controversy, check out Trevor Noah’s segment on Lauer’s moderation skills.

When Megyn Kelly first started out at Today, things weren’t going well for the former Fox News personality. Celebrities were reluctant to book her snafu-riddled show, and Page Six reported that when one industry insider told Lauer that stars were being advised to avoid Kelly’s hour on Today, he replied that he “gets it,” adding that “it’s a big problem for them.” Not quite the solidarity that NBC wants from its morning show hosts.
  5. The Bobster Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,320 / 2 / -17
    https://pagesix.com/2017/11/29/matt-...889.1509760862

Matt Lauer allegedly sexually harassed staffer during OlympicsBy Emily Smith and Yaron Steinbuch
    November 29, 2017 | 8:02am | Updated

Matt "Der Schnozzle" Lauer allegedly [IMG] sexually harassed a female NBC staffer during the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014, sources told Page Six.

An NBC insider said Lauer’s alleged victim complained to HR on Monday: “This happened so quickly. She didn’t go to the media, she made a complaint to NBC’s human resources, and her evidence was so compelling that Matt was fired on Tuesday night. The victim says she has evidence that this has also happened to other women, but so far we don’t have evidence of that.”

Sources initially told The Post that Lauer had been accused of sexual assault during the Sochi Olympics, but later said it was inappropriate sexual behavior.

Another source tells us that the decision to fire Lauer was made late Tuesday by NBC News chairman Andy Lack.

The woman’s lawyer, Ari Wilkenfeld, said they met with NBC officials on Monday evening.

“My client and I met with representatives from NBC’s Human Resources and Legal Department at 6 p.m. on Monday. Over the course of several hours, my client detailed egregious acts of sexual harassment and misconduct by Mr. Lauer,” Wilkenfeld said in a statement.

“In fewer than 35 hours, NBC investigated and removed Mr. Lauer. [IMG] Our impression at this point is that NBC acted quickly and responsibly, as all companies should when confronted with credible allegations about sexual misconduct in the workplace.”

“While I am impressed by NBC’s response to date, I am awed by the courage my client showed to be the first to raise a complaint and to do so without making any demands other than asking the company do the right thing. This is how the system should work,” he added.

Lauer’s firing comes amid rumors that several news outlets were working on stories about his alleged sexual misconduct.

Reporters for the New York Times had been investigating Lauer for several weeks, according to sources who had been contacted by the paper, CNN reported.

His agent, Ken Lindner, did not immediately respond to calls and emails seeking comment.

Lauer’s co-anchor Savannah "Lipless Amazon" Guthrie made the stunning announcement Wednesday morning at the top of the show by reading a statement from Lack.

“On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment,” Lack wrote.

“While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident,” he continued.

“Our highest priority is to create a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected, and to ensure that any actions that run counter to our core values are met with consequences, no matter who the offender.

“We are deeply saddened by this turn of events. But we will face it together as a news organization — and do it in as transparent a manner as we can.”

A visibly shaken Guthrie, who has worked with Lauer since 2012, said she was informed about his ouster just a few moments before going on the air.

“We just learned this moments ago, just this morning. As I’m sure you can imagine, we are devastated and we are still processing all of this,” Guppy said.

“And I will tell you right now, we do not know more than what I just shared with you. [IMG] But we will be covering this story as reporters, as journalists. I’m sure we will be learning more details in the hours and days to come, and we promise we will share that with you.”

She added: “We are heartbroken. I’m heartbroken for Matt — he is my dear, dear friend and my partner, and he has been loved by many, many people here. And I’m heartbroken for the brave colleague who came forward to tell her story, and any other women who have their own stories to tell.”

In her segment “Megyn Kelly Today” later in the morning, Kelly — who left Fox News channel after accusing former CEO Roger Ailes of sexual harassment — delivered a personal statement about the allegations.

“This one does hit close to home. I too have known Matt for a long time and he has been a friend and kind and supportive to me in my transition to NBC News,” she said. [IMG]

“And I see the anguish on my colleagues’ faces. But when this happens, what we don’t see is the pain on the faces of those who found the courage to come forward and it is a terrifying thing to do.

“I have been at another news channel where this happened, as you know, and my experience is a news organization is bigger than any one person. They all face challenges, they all stumble, but the good ones stay standing and forge forward fulfilling their core mission: Journalism.”

Guthrie’s co-host Hoda "Can I Buy A Vowel" Kotb called it a “tough morning,” noting that she has known Lauer for years and “loved him as a friend and a colleague.”

“It’s hard to reconcile with what we are hearing with the man who we know, who walks in this building every single day,” Kotb said. “We were both woken up with the news, kind of pre-dawn, and we’re trying to process it and trying to make sense of it — and it’ll take some time for that.”

“Today” star Kathie Lee Gifford said Lauer deserves forgiveness

“I’m grappling with, should I even share something? But I guess I really should,” Gifford, 64, said during the 10 a.m. hour of the “Today” show.

“I don’t feel that Matt has betrayed us in any way at all, but when I found out that my husband [Frank Gifford] had betrayed me, you question your own judgment. You say, ‘Was everything a lie?’ And I think we have to very much fight against that, that the man we know and adored was the man we loved and adored and continue to.”

Al "House Nigger" Roker, who was giving the weather report, also was visibly upset, saying that he was “trying to process” the news about his friend of three decades.

Lauer’s axing comes a week after CBS News fired one of its own morning anchors, Charlie Rose, after several women accused the “CBS This Morning” co-host of sexual misconduct.

President Trump reacted to the news on Twitter.

“Wow, Matt Lauer was just fired from NBC for ‘inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.’ But when will the top executives at NBC & Comcast be fired for putting out so much Fake News. Check out Andy Lack’s past!” [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

Comcast is NBC’s parent company.

Lauer, 59, was named co-anchor of “Today” in January 1997 after three years as the news reader.

His wife, Annette, famously filed for divorce in 2006, accusing him of “cruel and inhumane” behavior, but withdrew the filing a month later after they reached a private agreement. [IMG]

They ostensibly live separate lives — she lives full time in the Hamptons with their children, while Matt resides in the city during the week.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Bluto: 253,652 Points Nov 29, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,647 / 68 / -168
    shit-
  7. Burt Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 34 / -41
    What's with these uppity shiksas lately, this is anti-Semistism run wild.
  8. The Bobster Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,320 / 2 / -17
    https://pagesix.com/2017/11/30/matt-...889.1509760862

‘Today’ co-hosts were feigning surprise at Matt Lauer’s firing
    By Max Jaeger
    November 30, 2017 | 2:00pm

[IMG]
    Savannah Guthrie, Carson Daly, Matt Lauer, Hoda Kotb and Al Roker. Getty Images

Some of Matt "Der Schnozzle" Lauer‘s “Today” co-hosts were putting on a show when they acted gobsmacked at reports of his sexually inappropriate behavior — and more women accusing him of impropriety will likely soon come forward, according to a report Thursday.

“Our sources say [Lauer’s behavior] wasn’t even considered a secret,” Variety magazine reporter Ramin Setoodeh told CNN. “It was known by many employees at the ‘Today’ show, including some employees that have gone on television and said publicly, ‘We had no idea.’ ”

“According to our sources, the co-anchors were aware of some of these allegations,” Setoodeh added.

“Today” personalities Savannah 'Lipless Amazon" Guthrie, Kathie Lee "Happy Hour" Gifford, Mee-Gyn Kelly, Hodent "Can I Buy A Vowel" Kotb and Al "House Nigger" Roker all responded to the news with on-air shock Wednesday.

Lauer allegedly had a button under his desk to remotely lock his office door, flashed his penis at at least one colleague and invited co-workers to his hotel room at odd hours while traveling for work, accusers told Variety in a bombshell exposé Wednesday.

A source told Vanity Fair that the real question at NBC was who would drop a dime on Lauer first.

“I don’t know what everyone is so surprised by,” one high-level industry source told Vanity Fair. “This has been going on for months and months and everybody knew it and it was just going to be which girl came forward, and who reported it first.”

NBC officials have repeatedly claimed they never received complaints about Lauer before.

More women will likely make accusations against Lauer in coming weeks, Setoodeh said.

“We’ve been in communication with more victims, and more women will be coming forward to tell their story,” he said.

Lauer, who spent more than 20 years on “Today” and raked in $25 million a year for hosting, was fired late Tuesday after a woman complained to NBC on Monday about his “inappropriate sexual behavior.”
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. The Bobster Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,320 / 2 / -17
    https://decider.com/2017/11/30/mered...889.1509760862

Meredith Vieira Found A “Huge Bag Of Sex Toys” In Matt Lauer’s Office
    By Claire Spellberg @c_spellberg |Nov 30, 2017 at 2:16pm 249 Shares

When it rains, it pours. Today, TMZ unearthed a video of Meredith Vieira calling out ex-NBC host Matt "Der Schnozzle" Lauer for having a “huge bag of sex toys” hidden in his office closet.

Back in 2016, Lauer and his Today co-host Savannah "Lipless Amazon" Guthrie visited The Meredith Vieira Show as guests. At one point during the interview, Vieira, who co-hosted with Lauer on Today from 2006-2011, recalled a moment during her NBC tenure in which she went snooping in Lauer’s office and was immediately surprised.

“I went into your office once. Do you remember this?” asked Vieira. “Snooping. And you had a huge bag of sex toys–do you remember this?” Lauer immediately tried to shift the narrative, asking “if we can explain what happened” before launching into a ridiculous story about having a sex therapist who gifted the hosts sex toys after her appearance on Today.

As you can tell from the video below, Guthrie and Vieira didn’t buy his story. Guthrie shook her head and had a “can you believe this guy?” smile on her face the whole time, and Vieira repeatedly contradicts him, telling viewers that she remembers a very different version of the day’s events.

After Variety reported yesterday that Lauer once gave an NBC employee a sex toy as a gift, we have to wonder if what Vieira actually found is something much less innocent than Lauer would have us believe.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. The Bobster Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,320 / 2 / -17
    https://pagesix.com/2017/11/30/katie...889.1509760862

Katie Couric can’t contain her smile after Matt Lauer firing
    By Francesca Bacardi
    November 30, 2017 | 4:29pm

[IMG]

Katie "Percolator" Couric doesn’t appear to have a care in the world — despite her former colleague Matt Lauer getting canned from the “Today” show on Tuesday.

His former co-anchor was spotted walking around Los Angeles on Thursday with an ear-to-ear grin on her crypto-kike face, looking unfazed by the NBC drama.

Amid Lauer’s sexual misconduct scandal, a 2012 clip of Couric from “Watch What Happens Live” resurfaced in which she discussed Lauer’s “annoying” habit.

“He pinches me on the ass a lot,” Couric said during the show’s “Plead the Fifth” segment.

NBC announced Wednesday morning that Lauer had been fired over sexual harassment allegations by an employee. Page Six later exclusively revealed that he allegedly sexually harassed an employee at the Sochi Olympics.

Other women have since stepped forward with accusations of misconduct against Lauer.

Lauer broke his silence on the matter Thursday morning.

“There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions,” he said in a statement. “To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry.

“As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.”

Later in the day, he was photographed in the Hamptons.
  11. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,089 / 16 / -26