Red Squirrels Fight to Survive in the Appalachians

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Macrobius, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Macrobius The Old Usager

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,541 / 43 / -218
    Kill it or not?

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...fight-to-survive-in-the-Appalachian-mountains

[IMG]

Some of my past Rose Whisper postings included rants about the problems I had with bunnies and Eastern gray squirrels while living in Maryland.

The bunnies looked cute and innocent, but they were rose-garden wrecking crews. Every year those wascally wabbits defoliated my new bushes, then stared at me defiantly as if challenging me to do something about it. I wanted to wring their furry necks.

Squirrels not only destroyed the last bird feeder my dad made, they made a Christmas feast out of the wires connected to the defrosting mechanism in our heat pump. The squirrels weren’t injured by their antics, but my repair bill was quite a shock.

When we moved to the mountains of North Carolina in May, we left the bunnies behind and brought along our tried and true squirrel-proof bird feeders. All went well until I spied a tiny critter that could hang on and eat without making the feed holes close, as they would under a gray squirrel’s weight.

At first I thought the acrobat was a clever baby gray, but I soon learned this new, infuriating pest was an American red squirrel.

Red squirrels are fast and feisty

Unlike hulking two-pound, 18-inch gray squirrels, reds -- called “boomers” in the mountains -- are about 8 inches long and weigh barely 8 ounces. They have strong hind legs and curved claws that help them ably climb. They can also swim....

2. kelly Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +96 / 30 / -26
    i like squirrels......i had a pretty elaborate bird feeder once, but we attatched a squirrel feeder to the other end to prevent the squirrels from destroying it trying to get in.........no reason why the birds and squirrels cant share :) (saves money on repairs, too)
  3. kelly Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +96 / 30 / -26
    birds and squirrels never had a problem down here sharing a feeder.........maybe the birds and squirrels are just stupid where you live.
  4. EthanEdwards Coming back to Life

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +415 / 2 / -3
    "Kill it or not?"
    .....depends on how hungry I am
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List