Our mead white?

Discussion in 'The Opium Den' started by MadScienceType, Jun 16, 2013.

1. MadScienceType Trumpenkrieg

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +6,324 / 11 / -34
    The answer is yes.

http://www.rohanmeadery.com/texasmead.aspx

The missus and I were exposed to some mead recently and have reformed our opinions of it. I've previously tried mead that was made by a different recipe and it was pretty much like cough syrup, but the people above produce a really fine product.

Best of all, it's fairly close, so road trip.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    tricknologist: 12,384 Points Jun 16, 2013
    Akingu: 2,021 Points Jun 17, 2013
    Bluto: 13,319 Points Jun 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. tricknologist menace to sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,932 / 13 / -43
    I've had a few different meads that were total crap, the Sky River mead is the only commercially available that I've liked, and it's hard to find. However, if you're into home brewing, mead is easy to make. You just have to let it age properly.

If I can find a bottle by Rohan Meadery I'll give it a try and see how it compares to my home made.
    • List
  3. Man Against Time Black Hole Melchizedek

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,459 / 121 / -270
    Best mead I ever had was homemade. And it's awesome.
    tricknologist: 12,384 Points Jun 16, 2013
  4. Akingu "Your Assholiness"

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +2,428 / 51 / -149
    www.gotmead.com is THE best source for tips, how-to and recipes. Also, for a sweet white mead, try Camelot meads. They also do a red and a blush.
    I've been a mazer for 10 years now and it's well worth the effort to learn how to do it. Problem is that now I want to get into beer brewing and wines too!
    tricknologist: 12,397 Points Jun 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. tricknologist menace to sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,932 / 13 / -43
    That's where I got the recipe I've been using.

I use Joe's Ancient Orange recipe without the spices. I used the spices the first time I made it and they were over powering. I eliminated them the next time and I've been making it the same ever since.
    NowhereMan: 4,399 Points (I like mead) Jun 17, 2013
    Akingu: 2,062 Points Jun 18, 2013
    • List
  6. Hawthorne Abendsen Number One Epic Sloth

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,643 / 43 / -341
    • List
  7. Akingu "Your Assholiness"

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +2,428 / 51 / -149
    JOA takes MONTHS to sit, just because of the shitty yeast he used. It's hotter'n hell for the first 6 months. I can get fermentation completed within 5-7 days and racked into a 2ndary carboy by day 8. Then it's racked every month. I can't remember the specific yeasts I used to change it but ask Pete. My posts may still be on there as well.
    His Sweet Petite Mesquite isn't too bad, but super sweet which isn't MY horn of mead but the chicks love it.
  8. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,357 / 3 / -43
    [IMG]
    313Chris: -31,216 Points (English faggit cunt poof) Jan 23, 2016
    Mandalore: 37,102 Points Mar 10, 2016
  9. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +12,798 / 81 / -138
    We were talking aboot Mead earlier in the shitbox and saw this article that might be of interest to some. The link has some recipes.
    The Drink of the Viking Warlords Makes a Great Summer Cocktail

[IMG]
    Long before humans had figured out beer, we learned that you can make a damn tasty crunk-juice by stewing rainwater in a beehive. Mead was the drink of ancient Greek philosophers, Asian hunter-gatherers, and Celtic berserkers. It’s also the secret behind some of the best summer cocktails. It’s Friday afternoon, you’ve made it through the long week, and it’s time for Happy Hour, Gizmodo’s weekly booze, etc. column. A cocktail shaker full of innovation, science, and alcohol. Grab your torches, pitchforks, and chalices, we’re gonna get medieval. Contrary to popular belief, mead isn’t just for Viking warlords and medieval reenactment societies. It also doesn’t have to be sweet. Meads are as complex and varied as wines, and in America, they’re making a big comeback. Today, mead enthusiasts around the country are cooking up all sorts of news infusions and cocktails, putting a modern twist on the libation of the ancients. Growing up in the DC metro area, the first place I ever encountered mead was (naturally) at the Maryland Ren Fest. The honey-colored drink came in overpriced novelty bottles, and it was abominably sweet. Nevertheless, I have many a fond high school memory of sipping shitty mead on the sly while chomping a roasted turkey leg and watching nerds joust on a hot summer day.
    [IMG]
    I rediscovered mead a few years back, while spending a week with family in central New Hampshire. One rainy afternoon, bored and painfully surfing the web on dial-up connection, my brother and I stumbled upon the Sap House Meadery, an internationally acclaimed destination located in a town we’d never heard of some 30 miles away. We immediately decided to go, and spent an unexpectedly drunk fun afternoon sampling everything from dry, blueberry hops honey wine to sugar maple dessert mead. I walked away with a crate full of the stuff, and spent the rest of the summer happily swilling glasses of Beowulf’s booze over ice. I recently got in touch with the Sap House Meadery’s owner, Ash Fishbein, to get some professional advice on how I could be spicing up my mead drinking experience. He shared a couple of his favorite cocktails — naturally, featuring his signature meads. Of course, you can sub for any mead of your liking! I’ve also included a few other amazing cocktails, courtesy of mead experts around the country. Mead is listed at the top of each recipe.
  10. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,862 / 35 / -83
    Mead is made from honey and water. Why do people always have to sodomize traditional drinks with fruit flavoring and all the rest of that shit? Cocktails were only created as a way to make bathtub gin and Popov vodka somewhat palatable. Anything that needs to be mixed with other crap really isn't fit to drink in the first place.
    Georg Schoenerer: 6,730 Points (Reinheitsgebot in the Mead Hall) Mar 10, 2016
  11. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +15,966 / 64 / -166
    WHiTE as Fuck

HEiL!
  12. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +12,798 / 81 / -138
    Is Medical Mead the New Medical Marijuana?

Mead, the old-timey honey wine you most commonly find at Rennaissance fairs, has experienced a bit of an artisanal resurgence. It certainly hasn’t gone mainstream, but thanks to one man’s research it could soon go medicinal. Microbiologist Tobias Olofsson of Sweden’s Lund University is developing a probiotic mead that he believes will help fight off super-tough, drug-resistant infections. Though Olofsson is one of the first to brew mead expressly for medical use, he believes that our ancestors owe much of their survival to the consumption of honey and fermented honey beverages. According to Gizmodo, Olofsson found that microorganisms inside of honeybees called lactic acid bacteria (LABs) could be used to eliminate pathogens like MRSA, a notoriously difficult-to-treat infection. The miracle bacteria also shows up in honey, which Olofsson believes ancient humans consumed regularly. He also hypothesizes that these honey gatherers were accidentally making mead by storing the honeycombs in water, which would then ferment and, as a side effect, help keep them alive. To test his theory, Olofsson brewed his own mead from fresh honey a few years back and studied the LAB content. It was jam-packed with curative bacteria—even more than straight honey. Before he can get any sort of mead business going, Olofsson is performing tests on himself by drinking his own home-brewed probiotic mead and checking his blood for evidence of LABs’ infection-fighting existence. Unfortunately, it'll be a while before you can drop by your local pharmacy for some medical mead
    Georg Schoenerer: 6,438 Points (Hunny's da only food dat don't spoliate) Apr 22, 2016