Local angler hooks piranha cousin in Lake St. Clair

Discussion in 'The Bob Marshall Wilderness' started by Apocales, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,133 / 84 / -144
    [IMG]

[IMG]

A local fisherman was given a large surprise this morning when he reeled in what appeared to be a non native fish to Michigan known as the Pacu. The Pacu, native to South America are related to the piranha and are not able to survive in cold temperatures. Though not native to American waters, these fish sometimes are kept in captivity and their handlers often get rid of them because they out grow their aquariums. Pacu can grow to be 3 feet long and weight over 50 pounds. The fish also bears the undeserved nickname as the testicle eating fish. If you catch one, please contact the Michigan Department of Natural Resources immediately.

source--

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/175147338-story
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,282 / 37 / -85
    Those things are all over the globe now, but there ain't no way they could survive a winter in that part of the country. In fact, I find it hard to believe that it would even live long enough to try feeding. And I'm pretty sure pacu are vegetarian, so why would it strike his lure? It's also unusual that he instantly recognized what kind of fish this was.

Here in Dirty Jersey we now have snakeheads, flathead catfish and a couple other weird ones breeding pretty well in some of southern counties. I don't know why they make such a big deal about these when the government sponsors programs to stock all kinds of non-native predatory fish in our lakes and rivers; pike and muskie, walleye, channel cats, rainbow trout, lake trout, etc.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +16,820 / 66 / -167