Let Us Now Speak Of Old Comic Books

Discussion in 'Tinseltown' started by il ragno, Mar 16, 2015.

1. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,325 / 29 / -85
    a/k/a my Dinner With Bluto (the only other Crustacean who'll admit to reading them).

So any you guys hip to digital-comic collections? I had no idea such things existed until mid-December of last year. I'll keep this condensed:

About 2-3 weeks before Christmas last year, I lucked into buying a very high-quality, near-complete run (the first 32 years, up to around 2009) of HEAVY METAL for a pittance. I don’t believe in “collectibles”, and I’d never buy any book or record or poster or whathaveyou for any other reason than to enjoy it, but the guy I bought this from bagged and boarded everything and threw in at the last minute, a small stack of DVD-r’s., which was awfully white of him and which, in a short accompanying note, he explained was a digital collection of not just all the magazines I’d just purchased from him, but further issues to 2014, plus all special issues/annuals, one-off special projects, graphic novels, and complete runs of HM's main competitors during the past 40 years (which would be EPIC ILLUSTRATED, France's METAL HURLANT and even the short-lived FRANK FRAZETTA FANTASY ILLUSTRATED), so that I can read any issue at any time without ever needing to worry about damaging or devaluing the actual physical copies of the magazines.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

I’d seen the first now-primitive attempts at digital comics 15 and 20 years ago and was highly unimpressed, thinking ‘here’s an idea that’s good in concept but incredibly disappointing in execution’....so I was fucking astounded when I popped in one of his dvds at how awesome digital comics had gotten while my back was turned!! It wasn’t just the image quality but the speed, functions, flexibility - I couldn’t believe how good they looked. And just as important, read.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

So anyhow, what had me further flabbergasting was that I recalled that both MAD Magazine and the NATIONAL LAMPOON had both tried marketing something like this in the late 90s, only to pull both products after what I assume were constant bugs and fuckups and consumer resistance to paying $100+ for problematic products nobody seemed to like very much. And I thought, well I guess they fixed those issues then, but what had me curious was how something like a digital HEAVY METAL could ever be attempted - it was essentially a 40-year-long miasma of countless copyright holders, I was amazed they weren’t bled to death by lawyers long before they could get a product to market. I assumed this, because clearly he’d sent me dvd-r copies he burned himself, and I wondered what a legit copy of this dvd set cost.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

Only I couldn’t seem to find one, because there wasn’t any, because of everything I just said up there re copyrights. So how….where….who…? Best believe I Googo’d dat shit, and what I learned is there’s this apparently quasi-legal underground gray-market in digital comic collections, put together by what seems to be a loose collective of a few hundred scanners trading/assembling massive collections.

From what I can tell, this is a kind of caravan moving from site to site as hosts get spooked by too many red flags on content-ownership issues (EBay used to allow them on, but no more) . In fact, the only place I found that does allow these digital pirates safe harbor is a semi-scummy online flea market called iOffer….and all I can say is once I got over that perfectly-natural wariness of being gypped with a few small test-orders, about $250 later I’d assembled a staggering collection of over 10,000 comics, magazines and trade paper/hardcover books of strips. In case you’re not a math-minded, that’s about 2.5 cents per title! It’s fucking insane! For what a few overpriced bullshit superhero comics would cost you as crumbly back issues, you can wallow in untold thousands of hours of reading and some of the best comics ever made.

Best of all is the fact that you’re expected to haggle these guys down from their already-insanely-cheap pricing. Every Buy button has a second “Or Make Me An Offer” button. I usually knock off another 10-20% that way nearly every time.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

How long this can continue….who knows? Maybe forever; maybe they get shut down, hard, by next Tuesday (most comic book companies are now subsidiaries of giant media conglomerates, so you never know.) The only thing I can say for sure is that now that I know about this......oh how I wish I hadn’t’ve dropped the coin on all those actual issues of HEAVY METAL. (And rememner, I paid a pittance for 'em!)

I would strongly advise all int’d parties to check out iOffer (select the COLLECTABLES drop-down menu, and type in ‘comics dvd’, for instance….click on the various vendors to view their full bill of fare, etc. You're clever kids - you'll figure it out).

For my part I bought a slew of complete runs of not just single titles (2000 AD - 1900 issues, 9 discs, $27; POLICE COMICS/PLASTIC MAN; GROO THE WANDERER; CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN magazine, all $10; DARK HORSE PRESENTS, $5) but the entire comics output of not merely individual talents (every comic Alan Moore ever wrote, 2 dvds, $14) but of entire companies (EC Comics, including the first 500 issues of MAD, 4 discs, $18; Matt Groening’s Bongo Comics [3 dvds] and DC’s adult-imprint Vertigo [13 dvds], both current up until late ‘14 - $16 and $50, respectively; a not-exhaustive-but-pretty-packed 5-disc set of Fantagraphics comics and books, $25; DC’s entire newsstand output 1970-1974 - their best-ever half-decade when they had every great artist in the field working for them, 9 dvds, $40) and even a few uncategorizable oddities ( a 3-disc shitload of about 600 underground comics, which is surprisingly around 70% great, $20; a treasure-trove of approx. 3000 old daily and Sunday-newspaper tearsheets of old comic strips ca 1924-32, $10; and a Warren Publishing odds-and-sods catchall collecting impossibly-rare time pieces like HELP! magazine and Forry Ackerman’s SPACEMEN alongside many others, as well as full runs of BLAZING COMBAT, THE ROOK, Eisner’s THE SPIRIT - probably the best of all the Spirit reprint projects, also $10)

[IMG] [IMG][IMG]

There’s even a guy who’ll email you an Excel file of 125,000 scanned titles for you to custom-assemble your own dvds from.

You don’t have to tell me I went a little nuts up there; as far as I was concerned, once I saw these collections were legit - at those prices - I couldn’t not go nuts. Look, like I said - for the price of maybe half-a-dozen yellowing, crumbling back issues in the bloodsucking secondary market, I’ve got a library at my fingertips that, previously to last December, I could never even idly daydream about owning. Now I’m waiting for digital old magazines….a nice complete set of WEIRD TALES or DIME DETECTIVE or - even more intriguing - THE SATURDAY EVENING POST, ESQUIRE from the 30s and 40s, and PLAYBOY from the 50s, for a mere 10 or 20 or 30 dollars? Let me at em….. !

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

Anyway the preceding has been a public service message. It’s too good a deal to keep under my hat for myself, and who knows how long before the caravan moves on again, possibly off the grid for good…?

PS: most of the iOffer guys offer some kind of HEAVY METAL set for $20-30, depending on how many extras are thrown in.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Bluto: 48,621 Points (shit-) Mar 16, 2015
    Blitzed: 6,962 Points (this shit is cool as fuck) Mar 16, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,800 / 28 / -46
    Comics are tasty but how about essential, informative factual reading like Stag Magazine, Man's Life & similar pulp mags.
    These are really difficult to find unless you're dumb & crazy enough to pay dollars PER issue to scalpers. Any advice on where to acquire would be mucho appreciated.

The world must be made safe for real news for real men, once again.
    Some memorable examples:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Bluto: 48,621 Points (Good shit-) Mar 16, 2015
    Blitzed: 6,962 Points (omg, artists could actually render, "zissis unacceptables!") Mar 16, 2015
    Johnson: 42,480 Points Mar 16, 2015
  3. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,325 / 29 / -85
    I truly believe it's only a matter of time until they'll be available for pennies per issue. Comics and horror-type magazines were first because of the built-in audience, but the niche submarkets will undoubtably follow.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,800 / 28 / -46
    Btw if you're interested in collections of older Pulp mags (up to around the 1940's) I should be able to find them for you, just drop me a line.
  5. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,800 / 28 / -46
    I've looked everywhere..... with no success. No doubt somebody'd have something but the 1950's - 1970's pulps are really elusive and the only way to get them seems to be from old booksellers, garage sales, on eBay or paying a fortune to whoever scanned a few copies.

So if you know any sources (like the guy you mentioned with the enormous catalogue and his custom service) I'd be very interested.
  6. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,800 / 28 / -46
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,325 / 29 / -85
    In the meantime let's enjoy a few more covers from the "sweats".

[IMG] [IMG][IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Blitzed: 6,962 Points (They had the best bras back then.) Mar 16, 2015
  8. Johnson tea. earl grey. hot.

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +14,693 / 203 / -316
    HiTLER's Global Nympho Brigade :agree:
  9. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,325 / 29 / -85
    Make Mine Orgy!:agree:

Don't Let Rupture Cripple YOU:agree:

"Talk, My Lovely, Or Beg For Death!":agree::agree::agree:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Johnson tea. earl grey. hot.

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +14,693 / 203 / -316
    It's hard to believe there used to be mags like Action for Men, Real Men, and True Men when they've all been replaced by Diversity Monthly, Equality Weekly, and Transgender Civil Rights Frontier Daily.
    Angroid: 27,653 Points (wtf went wrong, bring them mags back) Mar 16, 2015
    Blitzed: 6,962 Points (hell of a point) Mar 16, 2015
    Giada: 91,767 Points Mar 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Post of the Day Post of the Day x 2
    • List
  11. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +16,549 / 66 / -167
    Milwaukee: Dames, Dice and Dope :agree:

Beware The Lust of the Female Sex Criminal :agree:

Your filthy mind is making you impotent :salowhoa:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,800 / 28 / -46
    "U-boats stocked with women instead of torpedoes"
    "The OSS's bordello on wheels"
  13. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,325 / 29 / -85

[IMG]
    Johnson: 42,480 Points (hahah) Mar 16, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Post of the Day Post of the Day x 1
    • List
  14. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,325 / 29 / -85
    Once more - with feeling! With a special emphasis on a truly bygone cultural wrinkle - the 'naughty' (but restrained) skin magazine presented with a touch of class....

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Bluto: 48,626 Points (SHiT-) Mar 16, 2015
    MadScienceType: 27,845 Points ("Tortilla Tornado" lol. "Dude" is probably the best title. Ah, bygone days.) Mar 18, 2015
    Blitzed: 7,011 Points (you are the master of sayin it without spellin it out, nobody does it better /) Mar 18, 2015
  15. Johnson tea. earl grey. hot.

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +14,693 / 203 / -316
    Those two decades or so between the advent of injectible antibiotics and the HIV outbreak must have been the shit.
    MadScienceType: 27,845 Points (Fucking boomers had the best of everything and ruined it for everyone else (though millenials deserve to have it ruined).) Mar 18, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +16,549 / 66 / -167

shit- dig dat boob shot...
  17. Johnson tea. earl grey. hot.

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +14,693 / 203 / -316
    one hell of a tits foto :agree:
    Blitzed: 7,011 Points (bewbs!) Mar 18, 2015
  18. Man Against Time Black Hole Melchizedek

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,806 / 126 / -271
    I'm not familiar with these comics - they are long before my time - but they look pretty cool. Would you be willing to upload some to dropbox.com and put a link in the Back Room so us young bucks can check them out?

You can also try a few torrent search engines to hunt down digital comics. I've downloaded the entire runs of a few myself, although these were from the 90's. I was surprised at the number of files available, though. You may get lucky and save yourself a few pennies.
    Blitzed: 7,011 Points (wut bagroom) Mar 18, 2015
  19. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,017 / 84 / -143
  20. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,325 / 29 / -85

How would I do this?

Which reminds me, let's plumb through my booty for more covers.....

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Blitzed: 7,011 Points (tasty eyetarts) Mar 18, 2015