Kratom Going Down Again - For Real, This Time

Discussion in 'The Round Robin' started by il ragno, Nov 14, 2017.

1. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,023 / 30 / -85
    The Federal Government Is Trying to Ban Kratom (Again)
    So much for "everything which is not forbidden is allowed."
    Mike Riggs|Nov. 14, 2017 11:28 am

A year after the Drug Enforcement Administration attempted to ban the plant-based drug kratom, only to back down when users claimed it helped them with opioid withdrawal symptoms, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced on Monday that it has begun blocking the importation of kratom products.

"To fulfill our public health obligations, we have identified kratom products on two import alerts and we are working to actively prevent shipments of kratom from entering the U.S.," FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb announced in a blog post today. His agency "has detained hundreds of shipments of kratom," Gottlieb adds. "We've used our authority to conduct seizures and to oversee the voluntary destruction of kratom products. We're also working with our federal partners to address the risks posed by these imports."

Kratom is native to Southeast Asia and part of the coffee family. It works as a mild stimulant in low doses, and as a sedative in high doses. Users buy it as a nutritional or herbal supplement, and it has some rather well-known adherents in the internet community, including podcaster Joe Rogan and filmmaker Christopher Bell, who used kratom to ween himself off prescription painkillers after an injury.

Gottlieb claims that the supplement is dangerous and has no demonstrated medical value:

Calls to U.S. poison control centers regarding kratom have increased 10-fold from 2010 to 2015, with hundreds of calls made each year. The FDA is aware of reports of 36 deaths associated with the use of kratom-containing products. There have been reports of kratom being laced with other opioids like hydrocodone. The use of kratom is also associated with serious side effects like seizures, liver damage and withdrawal symptoms.

But as Reason's Jacob Sullum reported last year, several hundred reports of adverse reactions to kratom are a miniscule number compared to other drugs:

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, alcohol causes about 88,000 deaths a year in this country, while 28,000 deaths were attributed to heroin and opioid painkillers in 2014. Kratom looks pretty benign by comparison.

Another point to keep in mind: "Deaths associated with kratom" are not necessarily caused by kratom. "Kratom is considered minimally toxic," noted a 2015 literature review in the International Journal of Legal Medicine. "Although death has been attributed to kratom use, there is no solid evidence that kratom was the sole contributor to an individual's death."

As further proof of kratom's dangers, the DEA noted that "U.S. poison centers received 660 calls related to kratom exposure" from 2010 through 2015, an average of 110 a year. By comparison, exposures involving analgesics accounted for nearly 300,000 calls in 2014, while antidepressants and antihistamines each accounted for more than 100,000.

In his announcement, Gottlieb revealed that the DEA asked the FDA to conduct a medical review of kratom, which is the first step in the traditional process of adding a subtance to the government's "schedule" of restricted drugs. While he encourages "those who believe in the proposed medicinal uses of kratom...to conduct the research that will help us better understand kratom's risk and benefit profile," his postion right now is that "there are currently no FDA-approved therapeutic uses of kratom."

Based on Gottlieb's tone, I expect the FDA will work with the DEA to put kratom in Schedule I—the most tightly regulated category of drugs—until researchers provide evidence of its therapeutic utility. A full clinical trial of the drug would likely take a decade to complete and cost tens of millions of dollars. In the meantime, moving the drug to Schedule I would criminalize its purchase, use, sale, production, and importation.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Ozzy Bon Halen: 152,088 Points Nov 16, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,239 / 84 / -145
  4. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    Stock up or make a trip to Asia.
    • List
  5. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,654 / 68 / -168
    [IMG]
    "Like, kratom is an herb from Mother Earth, dig?"

[IMG]
    "Bluto digs, Doll, Bluto digs-"
  6. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,426 / 28 / -46
    Get a local growing business going, there must be a patch in the Everglades for just this sorta thing :lol:
  7. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    https://www.kratomscience.com/kratom-legality/
    International Kratom Status

There are only a few countries confirmed to have made kratom illegal at this time. Those countries are Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Burma, Denmark, Poland, Lithuania, Sweden, Myanmar, and Vietnam. Despite these countries banning kratom, usually for politically motivated reasons, you will find that kratom is legal in most of the world.
    Kratom isn’t completely banned but it’s legal status remains uncertain in Finland, Denmark, Romania, Germany, and New Zealand.
  8. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,456 / 38 / -88
    I'm being 100% serious when I say that a kratom ban will likely lead to me using painkillers and maybe even some dope.
    • List
  9. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38

Do you use Kratom b/c you're in pain?
    I've never used Kratom, but if it's been legal this long it must be for " politically motivated reasons, you will find that kratom is legal in most of the world."
  10. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,456 / 38 / -88
    I have a bit of foraminal stenosis in C6, no disc left between my lumbar and sacral vertebrae, half a dozen other random bulging discs, a partially torn right rotator cuff, my entire left hand was destroyed and surgically reconstructed, and some arthritis and possible meniscus tears in both knees. I fully intend to continue my lifestyle of olympic/power lifting, martial arts, running, hiking and strenuous manual labor.

In all honesty, I'd probably take the stuff all the time anyways, but it's my business and nobody else's if I want to drink some goddamn herbal tea. They are using the usual "drug" fearmongering to do it, but this is ultimately the work of the usual big pharma titans, who wield immense amounts of power over out government.

Prescription opioids are the number one money maker for some of these guys, and sales have already taken a blow now that the public is just finally starting to catch on that they've essentially been selling medical-grade heroin to millions of people who don't need it. Now people are also figuring out that there's an all-natural alternative that is safer, cheaper and has far fewer side effects, and that could potentially cost them countless billions of dollars.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  11. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,426 / 28 / -46
    I'm obviously not the first whiner to point out to you that ^ this lifestyle ^ is not going to be in your best interests longer term.
    Shoot the messenger if you like, but age catches up with us all and you're not doing yourself any favours by keeping up the trooper regimen.

I've got a ruined shoulder (caused by an old sport injury) and even though I'm trying to be "careful" with it and don't put it through much strain it's still causing me problems - problems which are only going to get worse a couple of years down the line.

Take care of yourself while you still have the chance to exert some influence over the aging process.
    • List
  12. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,426 / 28 / -46
    Agree 100%, Big Pharma = Big Racket and there's no way that these guys (and their hired politicians & many parasiting scumbags from the "medical profession") are willing to forsake those billions.
    Giada: 129,531 Points Nov 16, 2017
  13. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,023 / 30 / -85
    The Trump factor only complicates the issue. If the FDA is fully part of the swamp, they can simply do nothing, let the ban proceed, and let King Cheeto take the fall (since it's happening under "his" administration).

On the other hand, Trump doesn't strike me as a Constitutional scholar who puts much truck in "anything not forbidden is allowed". Besides lately developing a sweet tooth for playing World Cop, and coming in first in the Loyalest-Ever Friend to Israel sack race, I'm wondering what he does put much truck in. Taking a pro-freedom stance on kratom in the midst of a opiod-drug epidemic would be a piece of cake for a normal politician angling for re-election, but a guy who's relentlessly attacked no matter what he does might get gun-shy. Particularly with (((you-know-who))) going bzz-bzz-bzz in his ear all the time.
  14. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,023 / 30 / -85
    As for whether the fix is in re Big Pharma:

Well, there you go: the fix is absolutely in re Big Pharma.
  15. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    Now people like Mandalore will have to waste money/time on a doctors visit for a prescription.

I would vote NO to make it illegal.
  16. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,831 / 3 / -43
    Hmmm, some of these guys?

Could it be................SATAN?

[IMG]

uh, I mean (((Sackler)))

The Secretive (((Family))) Making Billions from the Opioid Crisis

Apparently, these jews did a similar trick re-branding Librium as Valium decades ago,

Now they're trying to go global with their opioids as US demand declines. A pretty good round-up of these modern day snake-oil jews in this https://www.democracynow.org/2017/10/19/who_profits_from_the_opioid_crisis]interview but please do not watch the video at the link in order to spare yourselves the dried-up jewess and her pet wog at Democracy Now!

Angroid: 103,918 Points (With Jews u lose) Nov 16, 2017
    Bluto: 252,027 Points Nov 16, 2017
  17. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,654 / 68 / -168
    (((Bingo)))!
  18. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,023 / 30 / -85
    As the FDA and DEA keep right on inadvertantly proving, the only difference between Martin Shkreli and the (((Sackler mob))) is table manners.
    • List