Is Finland’s basic universal income a solution to automation, fewer jobs and lower wages?

Discussion in 'Economics and Finance' started by Aptrgangr, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Aptrgangr nulla crux, nulla corona

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +322 / 0 / -2
    Is Finland’s basic universal income a solution to automation, fewer jobs and lower wages?

Both left and right are promoting the idea of a basic wage for everyone, currently on trial, as a solution to the new world of work

When he got the letter after Christmas saying he was entitled to an unconditional income of €560 (£478) a month, Mika Ruusunen couldn’t believe his luck. “At first I thought it was a joke. I had to read it many times. I looked for any evidence it might be false.”

But the father of two was not the victim of a scam. He has been selected to take part in an experiment being run by the Finnish government, in which 2,000 unemployed people between the ages of 25 and 58 will receive a guaranteed sum – a “basic income” – of €560 a month for two years. It replaces their unemployment benefit, but they will continue to receive it whether or not they find work. The government hopes it will encourage the unemployed to take on part-time work without worrying about losing their benefits. (...)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/19/basic-income-finland-low-wages-fewer-jobs
  2. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,750 / 28 / -46
    Yeah... and who will pay for the lifelong vacation?

Y'all knows what'll come next, extermination o' da useless eaters by the overlords and their praetorian guards.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    313Chris: 63,069 Points Feb 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Burt Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +2,179 / 27 / -31
    Only whites age 60+ should get benefits.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +12,945 / 84 / -142
    All these social nets were supposed to be a temp thing until you landed on your feet somewhere. Unemployment being my favorite cause that means you work for it, pay for it, and can use it when you lose a job. With automation and tons of liberal do-nothing types.. it's merely guaranteed a universal income will start to trickle across Europe within the next decade. Criminals and thugs will continue to sell dope and hustle while others are dumb enough to work somewhere on their feet.