How Should Albert Dryden Dress for the Theatre?

Discussion in 'Depeche Mode' started by Macrobius, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Macrobius The Old Usager

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,540 / 43 / -218
    [IMG] [26-01, 20:45] Albert Dryden What does one wear to the theatre?
    [IMG] [26-01, 20:45] Albert Dryden I'm going to the theatre in March. Really.

Serious question. Assume it is in the PM and not evening. White tie is right out.
    @O'Zebedee
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Albert Dryhump: 3 Points (I shall be interested to hear the opinions of the sophisticates that frequent this place. Especially Fitz.) Jan 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. VisKnut Abyss

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,335 / 33 / -101
    Like a whored out version of Vinnie Jones.
    rust: 7,576 Points (let's see some pics of that -- or is this going to be a case of be careful what you ask for?) Jan 26, 2013
  3. O'Zebedee Creator of Family Circus

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +482 / 5 / -4
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask - I like dressing up for events. If you're going with the wife than definitely put on the suit and tie. And, fer Chrissakes, bring her to a nice restaurant before and a drink after.
    Angroid: 3,777 Points Jan 26, 2013
    Albert Dryhump: 3 Points (Are you fucking nuts?! Imagine the hell setting that precedent would make my life. You need to keep their expectations low, O'Zeb. Very low.) Jan 27, 2013
    SouthernStar: 5,921 Points Jan 31, 2013
  4. rust inactive

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,813 / 45 / -23
    Me too.

And this goes without saying, but sweatpants are definitely outré for event attendance, 'tho I suppose one could get away with it under some circumstances (even for the theatre) in this day and age.
    Angroid: 3,777 Points (three cheers for high standards) Jan 26, 2013
    Albert Dryhump: 3 Points (Never owned a pair and won't until they come in a nice faux tweed pattern.) Jan 27, 2013
  5. O'Zebedee Creator of Family Circus

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +482 / 5 / -4
    I don't like sweat pants in any situation. To me it's like a signal that you've given up.
    Angroid: 3,777 Points (useful information) Jan 26, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. rust inactive

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,813 / 45 / -23
    Sweats are definitely not for closers.
    MadScienceType: 5,164 Points Jan 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. O'Zebedee Creator of Family Circus

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +482 / 5 / -4
    Well, they are if you consider eating a bucket of KFC in one sitting to be closing.
    MadScienceType: 5,164 Points (Your snobbery offends me. It works for an entire stuffed-crust pizza as well.) Jan 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. O'Zebedee Creator of Family Circus

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +482 / 5 / -4
    When I first moved out I had a roommate like that. The girlfriend of a friend; she worked for the government and immediately changed into sweat pants and old t-shirt when she got home from work. If she went out with us it was in the same "comfortable clothes." I was horrified that my friend found this attractive - it's the source of my immediate dislike of women in sweat pants in public places.
    rust: 7,606 Points (horrors) Jan 27, 2013
  9. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,584 / 27 / -45
    Cardigan, bowtie and Elton John glasses naturally.
  10. rust inactive

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,813 / 45 / -23
    For Dryden, a suit for the theatre might be nice -- something tailored and classic. Think Cary Grant and you really can't go wrong, and wear a dark colored fedora too if you have one.
    Albert Dryhump: 3 Points (I have the suit I got wed in, but my only tie is a bit garish.) Jan 27, 2013
  11. Macrobius The Old Usager

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,540 / 43 / -218
    So I suppose there is no possibility of buying a cutaway coat, which is the correct answer for the afternoon, I suppose?

http://www.freefictionbooks.org/books/m/3349-mothers-remedies-by-thomas-jefferson-ritter?start=614

The fashion advice is for a house party but since it is afternoon, formal theatre attire seems out of the question ... best to go with something Victorian and comfortable.

Mother's Remedies by Thomas Jefferson Ritter (published 1910-1917)
    The cutaway coat is correct for ordinary afternoon wear

Page 615 of 869

What Is Expected of Guests.--One does not invite guests to make them uncomfortable, therefore it is best not to expect them to rise for an early breakfast. If they are expected to present themselves, as late an hour as possible should be named. But they may be served with coffee, rolls, fruit and any other easily prepared breakfast dish whenever they please to arise, being given to understand that a substantial breakfast is the price of the extra "forty winks." Guests at a house-party are expected to entertain themselves, among themselves, to a considerable extent. They may walk, or row, or play croquet or tennis, or read or gossip or play cards, while the hostess attends to her domestic duties. If the party is large, or if but one or no servants are kept, the women should quietly attend to their own rooms, making up the bed and picking up their own belongings. Whether they may do this or not depends upon circumstances of which they must judge.

The most enjoyable house-parties are given in these roomy old houses with broad verandas, surrounded with lawn and garden. But this need not deter those having less delightful surroundings from offering their best to their friends. It is not so much the elegance of what we offer as the manner in which it is offered that makes our friends remember their visit with pleasure.

Dress at Week-End Visits.-- ...

Men's Wear.--The man wears the ordinary business suit for travelling, sack or cutaway. He wears in the country in the morning a suit of flannel, tweed or cheviot, a straw hat and tan shoes. His shirt may be of striped madras or linen, with a white collar. The cutaway coat is correct for ordinary afternoon wear, with a white waistcoat, white shirt and four-in-hand tie. This takes the place in summer of the frock coat, which is the formal day wear. He will seldom, if ever, have occasion for a dress suit at a week-end visit in summer. Of course, the size of the party and the gayeties in which one will participate have a bearing on the dress question, but the tendency is for men's dress to be more comfortable and less formal in summer, especially in the country.

Other versions of this handy book: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17439

Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=VvzlAAAAMAAJ

For those who are curious what a sack suit is ('lounge suit' is apparently the British version of the word), as opposed to cutaways: http://www.waltontaylor.com/sacksuit.html

1870s gunhand:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Macrobius The Old Usager

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,540 / 43 / -218
    Bump. March was a while back. How'd it go?