Harper Lee & Umberto Eco dead

Discussion in 'Burke's Bastion' started by Bluto, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,654 / 68 / -168
    Harper Lee, whose character, Atticus Finch-da disingenuous White libtards' "hero"-who became a race realist late in his pretend life in Go Set a Watchman- is dead. Harper Lee, dat is. Not da fictional character Atticus Finch, who ne'er fuckin' existed, nigger-lovers.

R.I.P. Harper Lee

Bluto ne'er read To Kill a Mockingbird or saw da flick. :salowhoa:

Also, Italian scholar & author, Umberto Eco is likewise dead. Bluto did read Foucault's Pendulum & watched the motion picture adaptation o' The Name of the Rose.

R.I.P. Umberto Eco
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Georg Schoenerer: 5,974 Points (Try "Misreadings," classic Eco) Feb 20, 2016
  2. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,654 / 68 / -168
    [IMG]

To Kill A Mockingbird

[IMG]

Go Set A Watchman
    Angroid: 45,971 Points (Dat nigger guilty. And Heil Hitler o/) Feb 23, 2016
  3. Roy Fokker Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,024 / 171 / -261
    Dis wort' one or two Shits-

?
    Georg Schoenerer: 6,061 Points (Jus' one) Feb 20, 2016
  4. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,101 / 16 / -26
    Umberto will be sadly missed; the other one not so much. I considered Umberto Eco & Thomas Pynchon to be the two greatest living novelists. Like Mr. Bluto I also read and liked Foucault's Pendulum. Eco was far, far ahead of his time and eventually ripped off by hacks like Dan Brown.
    I hate reading fiction these days because it detracts me from reading needful information, but right now I'm reading Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. The movie was great but the book is far, far better. All hail Doc Sportello and beware of the Golden Fang.
    Angroid: 45,971 Points (Shit, Joaquin was stoned for real in that movie lol) Feb 23, 2016
    Bluto: 87,522 Points Feb 24, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,101 / 16 / -26
    He sure as hell looked like it. In the book Sportello was a bumbling pot addled dipshit, but he kind of was tough too. He wore bellbottoms so he could hide a Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 revolver in an ankle holster. And he was banging the D.A. Penny Kimball too. The book was alot more complicated,but it would be really hard to adapt a book like that to a movie, it would make a good miniseries though.

In reverse, the last two Hunger Games movies sucked because they made two movies out of a book that only had enough material for one movie. They just wanted to milk the franchise for all it was worth.
    • List
  6. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,831 / 3 / -43
    So I was reading Umberto Eco at a bar the other night.… Hmmm, no. Let me back up.

A new posthumous collection of Eco’s essays was just published in the United States.

The title of Eco’s last collection is “Chronicles of a Liquid Society,” which is a riff on the ideas of an obscure European philosopher named Zygmunt Bauman, who coined the term “liquid modernity” of society.

The concept of “liquid” society is a bit hard to grasp – sort of like eating soup with a fork. But put as simply as possible, the era in which we live has made fragile the foundations of everything: state, church, business, even reality. Nothing is certain, which produces “a situation with no points of reference,” Eco wrote.

Friedrich Nietzsche famously declared that God is dead. Nietzsche didn’t do the deed, but he played the role of forensic pathologist, and people have been trying to come to terms with the news ever since.

Eco himself was an atheist, but he understood what happens when society becomes godless. We become our own lame gods. As he wrote in a 2010 essay: “Once this all-seeing Witness has gone, has been taken away, what remains? All that’s left is the eye of society, the eye of the Other, before whom you must reveal yourself so as not to disappear into the black hole of anonymity, into the vortex of oblivion, even at the cost of choosing the role of village idiot who strips down to his underpants and dances on the pub table.”

Bluto: 252,685 Points Nov 18, 2017
  7. Poète Maudit Decadent

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +436 / 56 / -102
    Not two fucks are given in either case.
    • List