Food Thread.

Discussion in 'The Compound' started by SouthernStar, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    If Greece's economy wasn't so messed up I would move there for the scenery and food.
  2. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,838 / 3 / -43
    The World's 50 Best Restaurants

Winners announced today, mostly ethnic European chefs, typically strong contingent of French, Italian, Spanish, Basque, a few Germanics.

Didn't realize there was such good eats in places like Mexico, Lima, Sao Paulo; maybe easier to get a table in those locales?

[IMG]
    Mugaritz, chef Andoni Luiz Aduriz

[IMG]
    Narisawa, chef Yoshihiro Narisawa

[IMG]
    Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, chef Ashley Palmer-Watts

[IMG]
    Central, Virgilio Martinez and head chef Pia Leon
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Angroid: 31,044 Points (So avant-garde) Jun 10, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,660 / 68 / -168
    Dat shit- don't looks likes real meals to Bluto.
    313Chris: 8,243 Points (Eurofaggots) Jun 6, 2015
    Angroid: 31,044 Points (Dats rite) Jun 10, 2015
    Georg Schoenerer: 3,673 Points (Awwwww....) Jun 10, 2015
  4. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,739 / 59 / -20
    A couple Cioppono videos

Basic recipe:

A little more elaborate:

5. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    Angroid: 32,239 Points (looks yummy) Jul 2, 2015
  6. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
  7. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,239 / 84 / -145
    Look at how edgy the HongCongers are getting..

This crazy pizza fried chicken has permanently warped my concept of food

[IMG]

My brain, it no longer works. My stomach, it’s so damn confused. What is this Napoli Crispy Pizza chicken from KFC? What is this life? Because it looks like they took fried chicken and added the only thing better than fried chicken (psst, pizza) to it. So it’s pizza fried chicken? Pizza flavored breading on fried chicken? Is this even allowed? See, brain no work. Found by Burger Business, the ad for KFC Hong Kong’s Napoli Crispy Pizza Chicken only highlights mozzarella and cheddar as the main ingredients so who knows if there is any actual marinara action going on or if it’s just cheese stuffed fried chicken (I would be fine with that t00). I know nothing. I just know I must question all fried chicken from now on and wonder why it isn’t pizza fried chicken.

[IMG]
    • List
  8. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,838 / 3 / -43
    The Hongers are tryin' a little Ebony & Ivory treatment on their Ronny McRatburgers:

[IMG]

[IMG]

And extendin' the theme to their disgustipatin' bubble tea:

[IMG]
    313Chris: -31,214 Points Jan 23, 2016
    Angroid: 46,591 Points (Sum Ting Wong) Feb 29, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,461 / 38 / -88
    Never forget the first and only time I tried a Bubble Tea. I was expecting some kind of carbonated iced green tea. Imagine my surprise when I took a swig of swamp-colored water through an unusually wide straw... and I was suddenly gagging on a mouthful of chewy, brown boogers the size of small marbles. The taste was faintly sweet, and best described as earthy and grassy. The texture... you guys remember rolling rubber cement into little balls to throw at your classmates? It was a cross between that and a gumdrop.
  10. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    [IMG]
    Johnson: 60,224 Points Sep 5, 2015
  11. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,239 / 84 / -145
    [IMG]

Saw some chick link this on Fagbook, had to say this has some potential here!

If you're having a cookout for Labor Day this Brownie S'mores Skillet would be great for dessert. This ooey gooey dessert has a brownie bottom, a layer of graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, and a grilled marshmallow topping. Bake it on the grill or in the oven - http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2013/07/grilled-brownie-smores-skillet-dessert.html
    Giada: 26,624 Points Sep 6, 2015
    RougeMuse: 18,930 Points Sep 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    ^^ Ingredients skillet on a grill ^^

[IMG]
    Apocales: 44,293 Points (yummm) Sep 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,106 / 16 / -26
    Once I went on a 'cleanse diet' of nothing but vegetables and green tea for a week. At the end of it I was so hungry for meat I was about ready to eat the damn cat! So, I took stock of all meat products in the house and decided to make a sandwich. What happened next was the very best thing that I've eaten to this very day.

You will need:
    grated cheese
    diced onions
    one strip of bacon
    two strips turkey bacon
    one raw, cubed chicken breast
    one philly cheese steak

First heat up a huge wok (the best way to cook chicken that I've found). Add the bacon and the philly cheese steak until it gets greasy in the wok. Then add the chicken breast, onions and the turkey bacon. Cook it all up thoroughly. Once cooked toss the cheese on it so it can melt into it. Then grab a large roll and dump the contents into it. I swear to God, it's the best thing ever. But not very good for your arteries I'm guessing.
    RougeMuse: 18,930 Points Sep 13, 2015
    Giada: 28,994 Points (How's your body feel after the cleanse?) Sep 13, 2015
  14. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,239 / 84 / -145
    I thought this cheap processed block of noodles would have been wonderful for you but as it turns out it's not :(.

[IMG]

It's convenient, cheap and best served hot, but how healthy is it? The instant noodles commonly known as ramen — a staple food for college kids and other young adults, as well as people in certain cultures — may increase people's risk of metabolic changes linked to heart disease and stroke, new research finds. In the study, women in South Korea who consumed more of the precooked blocks of dried noodles were more likely to have "metabolic syndrome" regardless of what else they ate, or how much they exercised, the researchers found. People with metabolic syndrome may have high blood pressure or high blood sugar levels, and face an increased risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. "Although instant noodle is a convenient and delicious food, there could be an increased risk for metabolic syndrome given [the food's] high sodium, unhealthy saturated fat and glycemic loads," said study co-author Hyun Shin, a doctoral candidate at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. [7 Foods Your Heart Will Hate] Shin and his colleagues at Baylor University and Harvard analyzed the health and diet of nearly 11,000 adults in South Korea between ages 19 to 64. The participants reported what they ate, and the researchers categorized each participant's diet as centered on either traditional healthy food or fast food, as well as how many times weekly they ate instant noodles. Women who ate instant noodles twice a week or more had a higher risk of metabolic syndrome than those who ate ramen less, or not at all, regardless of whether their diet style fell into the traditional or fast-food category. The researchers found the association even among young women who were leaner and reported doing more physical activity. As for men, Shin and his colleagues guessed that biological differences between the genders, like the effect of sex hormones and metabolism, might account for the lack of an apparent association among males between eating instant noodles and developing metabolic syndrome.

The study was conducted in South Korea, an area known to have the largest ramen consumption group in the world, where people consumed 3.4 billion packages of instant noodles in 2010. But the findings could apply to people in North American too, said Lisa Young, a nutritionist and professor at New York University who was not involved in the study. "We [in the States] don't eat it as much, but the ramen noodles are being sold, so this could apply to anywhere they're sold, and they're sold almost everywhere." So what's so bad about instant noodles? "Instant noodles are high in fat, high in salt, high in calories and they're processed — all those factors could contribute to some of the health problems [the researchers] addressed," Young said. "That doesn't mean that every single person is going to respond the same way, but the piece to keep in mind is that it's not a healthy product, and it is a processed food." Processed foods generally contain high amounts of sugar and salt, primarily because they are designed to have long shelf lives. But Young said there might be ways to dampen the dangers of eating instant noodles without swearing off of them altogether. "Number one, don't eat it every day," Young told Live Science. "Number two, portion control," she said, and recommended that people eat a small amount of instant noodles and mix them with vegetables and other healthier, nonprocessed foods. Above all, however, Young said a little bit of preparation could help people avoid processed instant noodles altogether. "You can easily make noodles, homemade pasta, ground-rice pasta and veggies" at home, with a little bit of planning, she said. The study was published Aug. 1 in the Journal of Nutrition.

source--

http://www.livescience.com/47366-instant-noodles-heart-risk.html?cmpid=514628_20140823_29993556
    Giada: 32,837 Points (People eat Ramen after they graduate from college?? Surprised to see S. Korea eats more of it than the US.) Oct 18, 2015
    • List
  15. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,239 / 84 / -145
    Need to try this badly.. imagine only will be let down.
    We tried jackfruit — the huge tree fruit that supposedly tastes like pulled pork

http://www.businessinsider.com/barb...-2015-9#ooid=dvMjhodzo_xFcNT4AlVqbD4pLdibtkt9

Jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit in the world. It has been called a "miracle" fruit because it provides so many nutrients and calories and is relatively easy and cheap to cultivate. The fruit tastes like a cross between a pear and pineapple when ripe, but more like a potato when immature. Perhaps the most popular way to eat jackfruit in the US is to cook it for a few hours, at which point it takes on the texture, flavor, and look of pulled pork. We tried the raw fruit alongside some barbecued jackfruit, ordered from Candle Cafe, to see if it lives up to its reputation.
  16. 4PortHub Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +890 / 5 / -0
    Sauteéd rutabagas and apples with rosemary. Non sugary, high fiber and it just looks vaguely seasonal.

[IMG]
    Mandalore: 25,986 Points (That actually sounds really good) Dec 9, 2015
  17. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,461 / 38 / -88
  18. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    Keep forgetting to add this, but the best Arrabbiata sauce, from a jar. :agree:
    http://www.barilla.net.au/product/sauces/Sugo_all_Arrabbiata.htm?pos=0
    Arrabbiata

With at least 8 Italian tomatoes in every jar, Barilla’s Arrabbiata sauce is a delicious blend of spicy chillies and 100% authentic Italian ingredients. With no added preservatives, Barilla pasta sauce is cooked slowly to give a thicker and richer texture, and clings perfectly to your favourite Barilla pasta.

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,679 / 114 / -38
    I haven't been to Verona, but agree with its eatery ruling. :agree:

Italian city to limit 'ethnic eateries' after explosion in kebab shops

Italian city passes ruling limiting the number of "ethnic food" restaurants in the historic centre, saying it is concerned about protecting its cultural and culinary heritage in the wake of a boom in kebab shops

It is not alone. So-called “Unesco laws” are under consideration in a number of Italy’s top tourist destinations as local residents have become increasingly flustered by immigrant-run take-out eateries, service points and trinket shoppes they complain degrade their neighbourhoods.
    • Verona commissions replica 'Juliet' statue after one too many brushes with tourists
    Critics, however, say some proposals supposedly aimed at protecting Italian heritage effectively discriminate against Italy’s growing immigrant population, especially the country’s 1.6 million Muslims.
    Earlier this week, Italy’s highest court nullified a regional law in Lombardy regulating religious buildings, which made it harder to construct mosques. With only six official mosques in the country, hundreds of make-shift “garage mosques” have cropped up as unofficial places of Islamic worship.
    The laws, drawn up by the anti-immigrant Northern League party in 2015, required all places of worship to fit into the local architectural landscape and be operated only by religions recognised by the state.
    City officials in Venice are considering restrictions to limit mini-markets, trinket shoppes, money transfer points and internet call centres that have proliferated in recent years and are often run by Chinese or Muslim immigrants.
    “Some of this gimcrackery, especially when we don’t know even know where its made, is difficult to reconcile with the city,” said Venice Mayor Luigi Brugnaro, who complained that cheap souvenirs of dubious provenance are contributing to the “Disneyfication” of the city. “These are things that have nothing to do with our history and frankly create discomfort.”
    Mr. Brugnaro said Venice will consider new commercial regulations like those that recently went into place in Florence’s historical center, with sharp restrictions on who can sell what where. In January, Florence slapped harsh new regulations on mini markets and strictly limited where fast food establishments, money change points, internet and phone call centres, bookmakers and massage centers can operate.
    Georg Schoenerer: 6,236 Points (Stamp out the gimcrackery!) Feb 28, 2016
    Angroid: 46,591 Points (If the fucking Muslims don't like it, FUCK OFF) Feb 29, 2016
  20. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +13,239 / 84 / -145
    Interesting concept
    The Dry-Age Shortcut: How to Fake 45 Days in 48 Hours

[IMG]

Written by Brad Leone

You could shell out $75 for a 45-day dry-aged rib eye, and then even more for the bottle of red that goes with it. Or you could—stay with me—make it for yourself, at home. Look, dry-aged meat is amazing and certainly worth buying when you can afford it. But down in the BA Test Kitchen, I’ve been fooling around with a technique that Trentina chef Jonathon Sawyer mentioned to senior food editor Chris Morocco when he visited the kitchen last year, a “fake” dry aging experiment that tastes just as good as dry-aged meat, for a considerably smaller price tag. Behold: Koji-rubbed meat. Koji is a rice grain that has been introduced with a live culture (Aspergillus oryzae for those of you in the know, bless you) and is one of the main ingredients in making soy sauce and miso paste. When koji is mixed with cooked beans like soy, the live culture helps break down the carbohydrates, amino acids, simple sugars, and proteins in the soybeans. I decided to try rubbing a cheap and lean steak with some koji rice that I turned into powder using a high-powered blender. Koji, which looks like white rice hiding under a dusty, powdery shell, can be bought online or at most Asian or Japanese supermarkets. In theory, if the live culture is used to break down beans, why can’t it be used to help break down meats? Dry-aging happens when meat has been left to hang out in a temperature- and moisture-controlled environment. Over time, the meat’s natural enzymes begin to break down the connective tissue and rid the meat of moisture, which results in a rich, nutty, and tender piece of beef. Yes, your pricy steak is essentially starting to decompose. Science!
    [IMG]
    Koji-rubbed steak hits the pan.

Back to the koji rub. Rub all sides of the meat (like sirloin or something thin and grainy like skirt or flank steak) generously and then let it sit uncovered on a wire rack in the fridge for 2-3 days. Don’t go too long or the meat starts to get too tough and begins to almost cure. After 12 hours, the meat starts to look like a moist, snow-covered slab of steak (see top photo). The scent is just as rich, nutty, and acorn-like as a steak that’s been dry-aging for over a month, with a touch of sweetness. Before cooking, rinse the meat thoroughly in cold water to remove all the koji rub that has become a paste, then pat dry. Next, season the meat with salt and sear it in a cast-iron pan. I often will sear the steak quickly and finish it in the oven—basting the steak with melted butter never hurts. You will notice that the steak will caramelize and pick up color much faster than a normal steak. The meat has a very distinct flavor and picks up a slight miso sweetness. That sweetness is the biggest difference between the real dry-aged meat versus the koji hack, and that’s likely what causes the meat to brown or caramelize faster. The koji steak is also a little less tender than the 45-day one, but I’m not complaining.
    [IMG]
    The finished product.

I’m obsessed with this method because it’s such a cool way to take cuts of steak that are cheap and less flavorful to a whole new level. At first I thought it would just be a cheat, an obvious shortcut for impatient meat-eaters, but now it has become a whole new creation of its own—like most good things—by accident.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List