Farewell Fast Eddie

Discussion in 'Jay's Lounge and Cockpit' started by il ragno, Jan 12, 2018.

1. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,076 / 30 / -85
    If you're around my age (or younger!- fogeyhood is not a requirement) then you know we're waist-deep in an age of fallen heroes, to the point where you dread opening the paper to find out who is it now? What's worse is that dead musicians are now so common that you don't find out in a news story - it's just as likely you discover the bad news circuitously, through tangential channels; which is often worse.

Well, now Motorhead are reunited at last, as Fast Eddie has joined Phil and Lemmy out there in the uncaring cosmos. (Yes, you tiresome git - just like the Ramones. Next clown who raises his index finger to make that clever point gets his hand smashed flat.)

RIP, Eddie. The day I heard your first lp, 40 years ago now, I knew you were great whether or not Guitar Player ever put you on the cover. (Which I believe they eventually did.)

Motorhead guitarist 'Fast' Eddie Clarke dies at 67
    11 January 2018

Motörhead guitarist “Fast” Eddie Clarke has died at the age of 67.

[IMG]

His death was announced on Motörhead’s Facebook page. According to the post, Clarke died peacefully in hospital after suffering from pneumonia.

The musician, born Edward Allan Clarke in Twickenham in 1950, joined Motörhead in 1976. Along with drummer Phil Taylor and frontman Lemmy, he is considered to have been part of the best-known Motörhead lineup. The trio released their self-titled debut album in 1977 and produced hits including Ace of Spades. Clarke also provided lead vocals on numerous Motörhead tracks.

Clarke left the band in 1982 and was replaced by Thin Lizzy guitarist Brian Robertson. Clarke subsequently formed the rock band Fastway with UFO bassist Pete Way. The band released seven albums and toured with AC/DC.

In later years, Clarke reunited with his Motörhead bandmates. In 2000, he made a guest appearance at their 25th anniversary concert at Brixton Academy, London. He also joined Lemmy in 2014 to play Ace of Spades during a Birmingham Arena show.

Clarke was the last surviving member of the “classic” Motörhead lineup. Phil Taylor died of liver failure in November 2015, and Lemmy succumbed to cancer the following month.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Angroid: 117,453 Points Jan 13, 2018
    Ozzy Bon Halen: 165,248 Points Jan 20, 2018 at 3:36 AM
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. VisKnut Abyss

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,702 / 35 / -104
    Shitty, for sure. I read this while having my morning coffee yesterday and the internut was still quiet about the information. Being a decently devoted Motorpig, I didn't see this coming. Maybe because it seemed Eddie cleaned himself up so long ago, or at least his hard-partying ways were tame compared to Phil and Lemmy's. Personally, I never really cared for anything post-Clarke Motorhead and even less cared for Fastway, but he had that ripping sound.

Can see a run through of Motorhead to Iron Fist...minus the Girlschool splits happening this weekend.
    Angroid: 117,453 Points Jan 13, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,076 / 30 / -85
    Full disclosure: post-Eddie Motorhead still rocked the Casbah; Lemmy would never have settled for less.

But Fastway? They were like a bad idea some record company had. The first record was okay ("Say What You Will" and "Heft!" were the highlights) but everything after was various pungencies of dogshit. The most disappointing thing was you could hardly tell it was Eddie at all! (Lemmy never forgave Eddie for Fastway's debut outselling Another Perfect Day, but time heals all wounds.) Years after, Dave King resurfaced in Flogging Molly, a kind of half-strength Dropkick Murphys. Eddie supposedly put out a solo album that was closer to his old band but I never heard it.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. VisKnut Abyss

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,702 / 35 / -104
    Sadly, the only Motorhead I even seen was the post classic-trio of Taylor and Clarke, instead it was the "second" lineup of Dee and Wizzo. Perhaps, my sadness fueled my previous post, but Motorhead still ripped and one of the loudest,angriest concerts was when they played a smallish SW Ontario nightclub with a sold out crowd of 500. That is thing about Motorhead, they played as loud as if they were playing for 10000 or in some shithole with 500.

I'll take your critique and not bother re-visiting Fastway. :agree:
    Angroid: 117,453 Points (loud) Jan 13, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,076 / 30 / -85
    Seriously, there was a gray area in between the two trios, when they went to a four-piece of Wurzel and Eddie Campbell, when it looked like they were running out of gas; but that was mostly record co interference in an attempt to keep Motorhead 'relevant' (ie, when they began mysteriously being packaged as a metal band for punk rockers that Lemmy was never comfortable with, outside of penning the tune 'Ramones'). How many times did some faggot journalist keep asking and asking about the band's "punk roots", only to have Lemmy keep changing the subject? It was like that hilarious interview when (probably the exact same) journalist kept badgering Steve Harris to admit Iron Maiden were some kind of punk band (no matter how often he denied it); finally said Faggot Journo asked well what about Eddie then? Didn't he have spiky hair a la Billy Idol? and then Harris rolled his eyes in disbelief before ending the interview.

Anyway, the immediate period after Fast Eddie left featured the great Another Perfect Day (w/ Brian Robertson ex of Thin Lizzy) followed by that gray area: Rock n Roll, Orgasmatron, Stand or Die (1916 was a fine lp, but it was liked by too many questionable types for questionable reasons, ie, that fucking 'Ramones' song). But from Bastards on, they got their mojo back and in fact a lot of those later albums (Bastards, Inferno, Overnight Sensation, Kiss of Death, etc) are flat-out scorching. Buy with confidence. (What an old-man thing to say, huh? - "buy"....)
  6. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +17,831 / 68 / -168