E-cigs contain a million times more cancer-causing chemicals than polluted air – Hong Kong study

Discussion in 'The Opium Den' started by Apocales, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +12,801 / 81 / -138
    [IMG]

The Hong Kong Council on Smoking and Health is calling for a full ban on e-cigarettes after a study they commissioned discovered that e-cigarettes contain a million more cancer-causing substances than polluted air. The research, carried out by the Baptist University, also found a type of flame retardant in the devices that affected the reproductive system and could also lead to cancer. Thirteen random electronic cigarettes available on the Chinese market were analyzed and returned worrying results: the level of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), a by-product of burning petroleum also found in polluted roadside air, ranged from 2.9 to 504.5 nanograms per milliliter. That’s “at least one million times more than roadside air in Hong Kong,” according to Dr Chung Shan-shan, assistant professor in the Baptist University’s biology department. Another substance of concern found in abundance is Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). These are flame retardants that are widely used in the manufacturing of furniture and electronic products. With an average 5 nanograms per milliliter in a conventional cigarette, the number of PBDEs in e-cigarettes range from 1.7 to 1,490 nanograms per milliliter.

PBDEs are added to e-cigarettes to reduce the risk of burning in the devices' plastic combustible components. According to Dr Chung Shan-shan, inhalation of PBDEs has been associated with thyroid hormone disruption and reduction of fertility; it affects fetal development and can cause cancers. “Even though we don’t know the exact number of e-cigarettes one should take, not to mention that many of the carcinogenic effects are cumulative, I don’t think there is a safe margin,” Chung said. At least 16 countries have imposed a total ban on e-cigarettes, including Singapore, Thailand and Brazil, while the World Health Organization (WHO) admits that there is insufficient information so far on health implications caused by e-cigarettes. “Some research programmes are already under way but given that e-cigarettes have been popular in the last four or five years, research has barely started and it’s early days yet. It would take about five or 10 years before we have evidence that could change the current picture.” Armando Peruga, Programme Manager of WHO's Tobacco Free Initiative, said in a 2014 interview.
    source--
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Giada MAGA

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,064 / 107 / -27
    My friend's e-cig exploded in her purse and it did panic her.

E-cigarette use banned for US air travel

The Department of Transportation says it has issued final regulations prohibiting the use of electronic cigarettes on any domestic or foreign airline flying to, from or within the United States.
    Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx says the rule will protect passengers from unwanted exposure to aerosol fumes in the confines of an aircraft cabin.
    The department has long prohibited the smoking of cigarettes and other tobacco products on planes, and has interpreted that ban to include e-cigarettes. The regulations issued Wednesday are designed to eliminate any confusion over whether the previously existing ban actually included e-cigarettes.
    Passengers are allowed to carry e-cigarettes with them onto planes. They are prohibited from packing them in their checked luggage under a regulation adopted last year after instances in which suitcases caught fire.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/03/03/e-cigarette-use-banned-for-us-air-travel/?intcmp=hpff
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Blitzed: 24,389 Points (Fuck!) Aug 4, 2016
  3. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,107 / 29 / -84
    If you're going to smoke, restrict yourself to something like American Spirit (although I believe they're lying about their 100% tobacco, no additives claim).

Point is, don't do it, or stop. Admit you're a junkie, take stock of yourself and save your own fuckin' life. And remember:

German doctors were the first to identify the link between smoking and lung cancer, which led to the first antitobacco movement in Nazi Germany

If you're so far gone that you won't do it for yourself or your loved ones, then at least stop smoking for Adolf's sake.
    Giada: 51,495 Points Mar 3, 2016
    Johnson: 126,952 Points Aug 4, 2016
    Blitzed: 24,389 Points (American Spirits taste very good.) Aug 4, 2016
    • Post of the Day Post of the Day x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,863 / 35 / -83
    American Spirits taste like ass, though. And they definitely have way more nicotine that your normal brands.

If you absolutely refuse to quit, buy loose tobacco from a decent European country and roll your own by hand. It's such a pain in the ass that you'll smoke way less and spend less money. Teens and niggers won't even think of trying to bum off you if it requires some work.

I used to love Drum tobacco until it got bought by an American company. After that the price doubled and it burned differently and tasted like chemicals.
    Blitzed: 24,389 Points (Weird, I used to roll and smoke Drum too, in my twenties, but I like American Spirit.) Aug 4, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Apocales 4:35a.m. just one more episode..

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +12,801 / 81 / -138
    The reason a lot of these e-cigs are catching fire and exploding is, they are kept in super tight pockets with no cooling. Think about every hipster overusing them and throwing them in their pocket.
  6. Flashy Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Whatever. 2 month of that helped me kick the habit. Now I am clean and boring and feeling deuced superior while passing my former comrades huffing and puffing out in the cold. Getting high on avocado and life and planning on becoming 120 years like the rest of the health obsessed freaklings.