Despite soaring, astronomical profits AMAZON is laying off employees by the hundreds

Discussion in 'Hot off the Wire' started by Ozzy Bon Halen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,364 / 16 / -26
    So much for Trump's aggressive tax cuts for corporations fueling hiring and strong employment. George Bush Sr called that "voodoo economics", Reagan called it "trickle down"; whatever you call it, it doesn't work.
    [IMG]
    https://www.fastcompany.com/4052978...feedburner fastcompany&utm_content=feedburner

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazon-laying-off-corporate-employees-in-rare-cutback/
  2. SureNot Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +87 / 2 / -2
    For the most part, Amazon has not really had much profit in the past.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-new-day-for-amazon-2016-04-28

As for cutting Corp positions I'm sure many of those are filled by affirmative action types. None the less fuck Amazon and the dystopian world it is creating.

Death to Amazon! Death to modernity! Death to consumerism!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. The Bobster Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,646 / 3 / -18
    Meanwhile, dozens of cities have spent a fortune lobbying to get Amazon HQ #2. Their idiot mayors don't realize that the jobs will only be temporary as the Zon adds more and more robot workers.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    il ragno: 175,501 Points (The ZON!!!) Feb 13, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,364 / 16 / -26
    Max Keiser was talking about that the other day. He said that Amazon was a company that wasn't exactly a big moneymaker, but they took what profit they did make and used it to keep expanding and expanding until they got to where they are now.
  5. SureNot Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +87 / 2 / -2
    Some sort of voodoo accounting me thinks, plus they get a huge subsidy via ups discount though they are in the process of getting their own fleet together.

They trade at p/e ratio of 240ish as far as I remember. I haven't looked at the fundamentals of Amazon though, I wouldn't take a profit from holding Amazon on sheer principle.
  6. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,364 / 16 / -26
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. LastChanceArmada Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +968 / 0 / -1
    AMZN is trading from an "it's going to expand in an unlimited manner, forever and ever" standpoint -- something that has, up until now, been true.

To be honest, there's no real competition as far as some of the stuff they're doing. People who just use Amazon for the typical retail stuff don't know the half of it: Amazon Cloud, Amazon Glacier, absolutely cutting edge automation -- there's really just nothing like it. I hate to admit it, but they could keep defying "fundamentals" for quite some time yet -- especially when you add in the fact that things like ETF's are an Ouroboros in that buying just a typical beginner-tier thing like the SPY causes fund managers to inadvertently buy the likes of AMZN and TSLA which -- guess what? -- then causes them to go up in price which then repeats the cycle.

At some point, in a sane world you'd expect some anti-trust something-or-other to kick in, but I don't know if that's going to happen: I always think of the old 70's film Rollerball that had the likes of a few megacorporations like the "Food Corporation" controlling everything on the planet.
  8. Ozzy Bon Halen LOLworthy Threadmonkey & Critic Of Texas Dentistry

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +10,364 / 16 / -26
    Sheeeeyit.

https://www.fastcompany.com/4052908...feedburner fastcompany&utm_content=feedburner
  9. SureNot Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +87 / 2 / -2

"Fundamentals" is right. Everything is out of whack and nothing makes sense. Buy the dips and know that the market cannot really come down. When it does there will be hell to pay. Dow 30,000 by the end of the year.

I used to scoff at the eternal bull rhetoric but with the whole fractional reserve thing and fiat currency, I don't see this going the way of Rome. Technology advances much too quickly these days and the information age has changed things forever.

Zerohedge will eventually be right, the race baiting alone speaks in volumes of the coming rahowa. The artist responsible for that portrait of the former commander and chimp only reinforces this idea.

The future William Gibson painted in his novels is how I see the future, that and a bit of Orwell mixed in.

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the (((bed bugs bite))).