Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather Fight Finalized

Discussion in 'Ty Cobb Hates You' started by 313Chris, Jun 14, 2017.

1. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,714 / 59 / -20
    Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor agree to fight Aug. 26 in Las Vegas

[IMG]
    Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, and Conor McGregor. (Agencia)

A mega cross-sport fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor will take place Aug. 26 in Las Vegas.

Mayweather made the once improbable boxing match with the UFC superstar come to fruition Wednesday when he announced the details on his social media accounts.

UFC president Dana White said on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” that Mayweather and McGregor will fight at 154 pounds at T-Mobile Arena.

William Hill sports books made Mayweather a minus-1,100 favorite on Wednesday, with McGregor at plus-700.

On Wednesday, Mayweather Promotions was granted permission to promote an event at the MGM Grand Garden on that date during the Nevada Athletic Commission’s monthly meeting at Grant Sawyer Building. The item was pulled from the agenda earlier this week, but Mayweather’s promotional company added the request again around 11:20 p.m. Tuesday.

T-Mobile Arena is currently occupied on Aug. 26 by The BIG3 title game, a professional 3-on-3 basketball league founded by Ice Cube.

The NAC agenda item listed a Mayweather Promotions event for Aug. 26 at the MGM Grand Garden with undefeated Mayweather protege Gervonta Davis expected to face a yet-to-be-named opponent.

Mayweather said after Davis’ last bout in May that he wanted Davis and Badou Jack on the undercard of his comeback fight.

McGregor, the UFC lightweight champion, came to terms with the UFC last month on his part of the deal to take a fight outside his promotional contract with the organization. UFC officials then began negotiations with Mayweather’s side.

Neither Mayweather nor McGregor is currently licensed as a boxer in Nevada, and NAC executive director Bob Bennett said nothing official has been submitted to the commission from either side regarding the proposed megafight.

“I have not received a completed application for a boxing license from Conor McGregor or Floyd Mayweather or any documentation from any promoter whether it be the UFC, Mayweather Promotions regarding an event between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather,” Bennett told the Review-Journal on Wednesday morning. “As a regulator, once we receive those documents, we move forward.”

The licensing process can be done within a week for most fighters, provided their medicals are in order.

McGregor and Mayweather have been teasing a bout through various public appearances and on social media for more than a year.

The Irishman took a shot at the 40-year-old Mayweather by posting on Twitter a side-by-side photo of him and Floyd Mayweather Sr. with the caption “The fight is on.”

McGregor, 28, who has never competed in a professional boxing match, last fought at UFC 205 at Madison Square Garden in New York when he won the lightweight title with a second-round knockout of Eddie Alvarez in November.

Mayweather retired from boxing with a 49-0 record after winning a unanimous decision over Andre Berto in September 2015. The Las Vegan has said a bout with McGregor is the only fight that could lure him back into the ring.

Both sides have yet to announce if the undercard will be strictly boxing events or a mix with MMA bouts. Ticket information was not announced.

This is a developing story. Check back soon for updates.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...-mcgregor-agree-to-fight-aug-26-in-las-vegas/
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Angroid: 85,368 Points Jul 29, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,288 / 37 / -85
    Why in the fuck did he agree to fight with nigger rules?
    Angroid: 85,368 Points (CA$H MONEE, that's why) Jul 29, 2017
  3. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +16,826 / 66 / -167
    boxing > MMA
  4. Man Against Time Black Hole Melchizedek

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,917 / 126 / -271
    Looks like an upcoming "job," which is typically a term reserved for pro-wrestling but seems fitting here...

What the hell is McGregor's motivation other than maybe money? Even if he wins, people will just say it's because Mayweather is older & washed up now. That's still a big if, since boxing is so different from MMA, and Mayweather was a boxer notoriously hard to hit, probably the best 'defensive' boxer of all-time. So it's extremely unlikely McGregor will land some lucky, Irish haymaker on the guy and drop him.

Plus, Mayweather is undefeated in part because he obviously has a knack for picking fights that he's confident he'll win.

If McGregor thinks is going to turn out like a Rocky movie, it's not likely.

Then again, I guess you can't ever "lose" for taking a contract that'll put you 1/3 way to billionaire. And to be quite frank I haven't watched MMA much in several years so maybe I'm wrong about McGregor.
    Bluto: 215,535 Points Jun 15, 2017
  5. Bluto Drunken lout

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +16,826 / 66 / -167
    Mixed style combat- boxin' vs. professional wrasslin'-

[IMG]

Read da rest Ali vs Inoki fiasco
    Georg Schoenerer: 25,090 Points (cheap trick at budokan) Jun 15, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,714 / 59 / -20
    Good ol' slappy Antonio Inoki :agree:

[IMG]
    Bluto: 216,848 Points Jun 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,288 / 37 / -85
    McGregor just spent too much time playing a different game to make that jump successfully. I think MAT nailed it and someone is gonna take a dive. MMA promotions have already invested tons of money into making it the combat sport watched on American TVs. Having an incredibly successful boxer lose to someone like that would be great for business and make lots of cash for both fighters. Mayweather is a nigger, so we already know he's probably in debt from buying all kinds of useless shit.
  8. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,714 / 59 / -20
  9. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,288 / 37 / -85
    Boxing is fucking retarded. I love when jigs in the street think you're supposed to just square off and trade nigger punches. The look of their face is priceless when you throw a leg kick or clinch and start throwing knees.

I am not denying the skill and athletic ability of good boxers, mind you. Its just so far removed from a real fight that I can't even appreciate it at this point. Its only in very recent history that fights began to have stupid rules against kicking, grappling, etc. Modern prize fights are nothing like a real bareknuckle match. And boxers ALWAYS fail under literally any other rules but their own.
  10. Man Against Time Black Hole Melchizedek

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,917 / 126 / -271
    Knees are the best. One to two knees to the face do far more damage than even five or six punches. Just keep this in mind if you're someone who hasn't fought anyone and doesn't really expect to in the near future. Just in case.

I figure even a broad could lump up someone's face with a good knee or two.
  11. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,288 / 37 / -85
    Don't neglect elbows and headbutts, either. Someone who gets up in your face is just begging for a headbutt and they never see it coming. "The old 1-2" should mean a headbutt and a knee to the crotch. And never, ever forget the ancient art of stomping.
    Georg Schoenerer: 26,392 Points (was gonna say...heel) Jun 23, 2017
  12. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,714 / 59 / -20
    After sparring with Conor McGregor, Paulie Malignaggi says ‘there’s a method to Conor’s madness’

MMA Fighting Newswire

Those thinking that Conor McGregor and his team of coaches are just winging it heading into his massive boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr. are mistaken, according to Paulie Malignaggi, McGregor’s newest boxing sparring partner.

Malignaggi said Friday night in an interview with ESPN’s Brett Okamoto that pundits who might think McGregor is treating this as just a money grab are very wrong.

“He’s got a game plan behind it,” Malignaggi said. “It’s not what people think. There’s a game plan behind what he’s doing. There’s a method to Conor’s madness.”

Malignaggi, the former WBA welterweight champion, said he and McGregor sparred Thursday night for eight rounds in Las Vegas. It was supposed to go six, but it went well, he said, and McGregor asked him to go two more. At the end of the sparring session, Malignaggi said McGregor was “cordial” — the two talked trash leading into this week — and asked him to stay on for the remainder of training camp. Malignaggi will oblige.

“It was educational,” said Malignaggi, who added that he had no expectations coming in. “There was a lot of trash talking, which me and him both known to have a little bit. Like I said, we did eight good rounds of work. It was physical work and Conor is coming along.”

Malignaggi, 36, said that of course McGregor, the UFC lightweight champion, has his own style coming from mixed martial arts and there was a certain awkwardness to the sparring. But not in a bad way or one necessarily disadvantageous to McGregor. There was plenty of yapping, though, Malignaggi said.

“In a championship camp, the sparring is intense, so I didn’t expect to go in there and it be a picnic,” Malignaggi said. “He’s a competitor, I’m a competitor. We went in there and there was a lot of trash talking right away. There was a lot of fighting right away. In the end, you look back on it was kind of fun. I don’t have everybody that can match my trash talking, but Conor definitely can. So it was making it a lot of fun.”

When asked about McGregor’s trademark left hand, the one that has knocked out the likes of Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez in the UFC, Malignaggi acknowledged that he has “pop” in it and credited him as such. But the Brooklyn native, who has been a pro boxer since 2001, said McGregor will need to diversify to get ready for Mayweather on Aug. 26 in Las Vegas.

“You come into the situation already knowing Conor has a big left hand,” Malignaggi said of Mayweather’s likely mindset. “So if you’re fighting Conor, you’re probably gonna prepare for that left hand. So obviously Conor is working on other things besides the left hand, so that there could be a surprise element to it, too.”

After the sparring was over, Malignaggi said he was pleased to talk to McGregor on a different level from their previous trash talk. He said he’ll be happy to help McGregor out for the next month heading into the big bout at T-Mobile Arena. Malignaggi said McGregor’s coaches are “winners” and have that kind of mentality. A strategy for Mayweather, Malignaggi seemed to imply, has already been implemented.

“Without giving away too much, he’s effective at what he’s doing,” Malignaggi said of McGregor said. “There’s a method behind the madness. He and his team are working at it. I’m sure it’ll be entertaining and fun.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/...ays-theres-a-method-to-conors-madness?ref=yfp
  13. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,990 / 28 / -46
    Groid putting a pint of Guinness on Mayweather. McGregor's going to be destroyed.
  14. il ragno Proud American Deplorable

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,488 / 29 / -85
    He can stockpile assholes like "Paulie", and even old men named "Mickey", but this ain't gonna turn out like a ROCKY movie. Way to hold up the white man to still further disrespect and ridicule there, Angus Podgorney.....
  15. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,714 / 59 / -20
    Nonsense, both of you. Mayweather is not going to destroy McGregor, and it's unlikely he'll even hurt McGregor.

There are a number of reasons why -- Mayweather's tangerine-sized fists, Mayweather's career-long history of metacarpal issues, the fact that Mayweather hasn't knocked out an opponent in 8 years, the fact that McGregor is used to absorbing blows from fighters much larger than Mayweather who are wearing 4 oz gloves as well as striking with their bare feet and elbows -- but more than any of that, McGregor is not intimidated by Mayweather and is absolutely motivated to beat his ass, while Mayweather is only participating in this circus to pay off a massive IRS debt.

I could realistically see Mayweather, even at 40 years old and with two years of rust caked on, successfully pitter-pattering his way to a decision-win, but he is going to get hit, a lot and hard every round of the way. I'm not saying McGregor is going to win, but Mayweather just does not have the firepower to damage a guy who can absorb repeated kicks and knees to the head in the course of a fight and still knock his opponents out.
    • List
  16. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,990 / 28 / -46
    A circus is what it is alright. As for Mayweather getting hit, McGregor would have to connect and that's where things are going to get interesting. There are a lot of subtle tactics to boxing (evading, baiting etc etc) and Mayweather didn't get to the top by being a slouch. If raw power decided bouts George Foreman would never have lost to Ali.

If McGregor lands a couple of solid blows it'll probably be all over but that's just it.... will he be allowed the luxury of doing that?

If the bout isn't decided early on by raw power or a lucky combo it's going to become technical and if that were to happen it's surely got to be Mayweather's fight to lose.
  17. Man Against Time Black Hole Melchizedek

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,917 / 126 / -271
    Mayweather won't KO MacGregor for sure. He'll dance around him for a decision win. MacGregor will have to KO him, and both fighters know this. Mayweather is no slouch when it comes to preparation, and despite the two years of ring rust, consider this: a legendary defensive boxer will be preparing to avoid the KO, and the same legendary technical boxer will be preparing to win rounds to produce that win by decision. It's hard to see how MacGregor can prevail unless he can develop some defense himself, and hurt him. I'd like to think that he can do this, but I want him to win, and I'm sick and tired of the Great White Hope stereotype. The carrot is being dangled in front of our faces again, in a scenario where the odds are all against the white guy. Whatever happened to white supremacy - white privilege?

The only bright side to this is if MacGregor clocks him with that left and sends Mayweather to the mat just once, he essentially wins even if he does ultimately lose by decision. He can also "win" the moral victory even if he produces a scenario where the ultimate outcome of the fight is debatable, since he's fighting outside of his primary environment/ruleset. We all already know what would happen in the octagon...
  18. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,714 / 59 / -20
    Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor granted an unusual vote on whether or not they can use lighter gloves

Tyler Lauletta

[IMG]
    Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images

After both Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor suggested that they fight in lighter gloves than was initially planned, the unusual request will be voted on by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC).

The vote will determine if the fighters will be allowed to wear 8-ounce gloves for their upcoming fight on August 26.

In compliance with NAC rules, 8-ounce gloves are used for fights taking place at 135 pounds or lighter, with 10-ounce gloves being used in any fight at 147 pounds or heavier. Both gloves are acceptable for weights in between that range, but 10-ounce gloves are traditionally used.

Mayweather and McGregor are scheduled to fight at 154 pounds.

Sky Sports spoke with NAC executive director Bob Bennett, who said this was the first time he had seen such an appeal.

"This is an anomaly, Bennett told Sky Sports. "I haven't experienced this in over three years on the job. I checked with the previous executive director and our programme officer who has been here for 30 years. To the best of their recollection, we have never had a request like this."

But despite the rarity of the request, Bennett noted that the fighters had the opportunity to make it, and that it would be heard.

"Our regulations require 10-ounce gloves," Bennett said. "But I won't say that there's no negotiations."

The debate over glove size began when Floyd Mayweather posted to Instagram suggesting the idea earlier in August.

"I'm telling McGregor, 'Let's fight in 8-ounce gloves'," the caption read. "McGregor can fight in any brand he prefers or chooses. I'll be wearing 8 oz Grant gloves. Whatever advantage McGregor needs to feel more comfortable in the ring, I'm willing to accommodate. Let's give the boxing and MMA fans what they want to see."

McGregor responded with a post of his own, saying "Pick whatever size gloves you want as well little man. I fight with 4-ounce [gloves in MMA]. I don't give a f--- about the size of the glove. I am coming sprinting at you with bricks. Know that."

The matter will be heard by the NAC on August 16.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mayweather-mcgregor-10-oz-vs-8-oz-gloves-2017-8
    • List
  19. VisKnut Abyss

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,538 / 35 / -103
    Paddy will lose this fight. Get his payout. Retire. Thus retire as a champion in the MMA series and yanking the rug out from Dana's pampered lily White ass in any hopes of scoring a 200 million dollar octagon showcase in Vegas.

If I was given the option, I'd chose to get my grill pounded out by Mayweather, only cuz it wouldn't hurt as much as sum Paddy shin-kicking my cranium into 88 pieces.
  20. Angroid CyberSperg 1138

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +7,990 / 28 / -46
    The only thing that's missing from this clown show is Don King.