Cease smoking thread

Discussion in 'The Compound' started by Giada, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Drawing-live Where's chaos there's life

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +699 / 477 / -1,160
    Is it because you say so or you think I put no value to life? Either way I disagree.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Bluto: 98,129 Points Apr 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Medium Dave Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +212 / 23 / -62
    Jus' trollin' u broseph, chillax: n shit.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List
  3. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,866 / 35 / -83
    Giada's continued interest in the smoking habits of others is strong evidence that she likes her some cigs.
    Angroid: 51,507 Points (Ex-smokers r fanatical) Mar 20, 2016
    Giada: 56,868 Points (No, not a smoker or ex-smoker. :)) Mar 21, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. RougeMuse Happy New Current Year!

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +2,118 / 22 / -23
    Marlboro Reds :agree:
    Giada: 56,868 Points (:() Mar 21, 2016
  5. Johnson demented lumberjack

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +14,332 / 200 / -310
    :frown:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Georg Schoenerer Der Judenkenner

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +1,367 / 3 / -43
    I can never understand how anybody can not smoke--it deprives a man of the best part of life, so to speak--or at least of a first-class pleasure. When I wake in the morning, I feel glad at the thought of being able to smoke all day, and when I eat, I look forward to smoking afterwards; I might almost say I only eat for the sake of being able to smoke--though of course that is more or less of an exaggeration. But a day without [smoking] would be flat, stale, and unprofitable, as far as I am concerned. If I had to say to myself tomorrow: 'No smoke today'--I believe I shouldn't find the courage to get up--on my honor, I'd stop in bed. But when a man has a good smoke in his mouth, a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally. It's just like lying on the beach; when you lie on the beach, why, you lie on the beach, don't you?--you don't require anything else, in the line of work or amusement either. --People smoke all over the world, thank goodness; there is nowhere one could get to, so far as I know, where the habit hasn't penetrated... ...you can be very miserable: I might be feeling perfectly wretched, for instance; but I could always stand it if I had my smoke.

Adaptation, I.M. 1925
    fuz al-nufi: 39,071 Points Mar 20, 2016
    313Chris: -43,876 Points May 6, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. Mandalore in recovery from sobriety

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,866 / 35 / -83
    I don't smoke(sort of) because it's ridiculously expensive. Most days of the week I bum a single Newport 100 off my ex to have out front with my single glass of mead or Belgian ale. That leaves me way more money to spend on important things like swords and narcotics. But I still do legitimately enjoy that cig, in spite of what reformed and non-smokers swear about not even liking the habit.

And people who smoke inside their homes or cars often kinda stink. The amount of smell is cumulative, and the smell of cigarette smoke seems to enhance other minor odors that you might otherwise not notice. The mildest beginnings of B.O. or musty clothes are much easier to detect on a heavy smoker for whatever reason. It's one of those things you just don't really notice if you smoke a lot of cigs.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. EthanEdwards Coming back to Life

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +412 / 2 / -3
    I quit smoking 6 years ago... never tried or wanted to quit prior to that. I just said phuck-it and quit, cold turkey. The days of running backwards smoking with a beer in one hand has passed!
    Georg Schoenerer: 6,559 Points Apr 23, 2016
  9. Man Against Time Black Hole Melchizedek

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +8,463 / 121 / -270
    I picked up the nasty habit of smoking cigs while in law skrewl, which was totally stupid as I had dodged the bullet throughout my entire adolescence--and I grew up in an area where kids started smoking in the 3rd or 4th grade! Fortunately, I don't smoke too much, and my lungs still appear to be in perfect working order, but I still intend to quit as soon as possible. I will probably just switch to nicotine gum, as I still enjoy the nicotine buzz.

The smell and the expense being the worst part, of course. I myself can't smell it, but everyone in my family can apparently. I'm the only one of my puritanical kin who has any vices, it seems.
  10. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,396 / 55 / -19
    Way back in 1996 when I was 19 years old, I worked part-time as a security guard. The company I worked for sometimes posted me outside this VFW hall on Friday nights where all these old people would play bingo for hard cash. Guards were usually assigned outside the hall and in the parking lot, so these old people wouldn't have to worry about niggers robbing them on their way out.

Anyway, this was in the middle of February in Detroit, so needless to say it was very cold out at night. Every hour or so, I would step inside for a minute to get the feeling in my hands back, and you wouldn't believe how thick the fog of cigarette smoke was inside that place. You could barely see 15 feet in front you and the stench was unimaginable. These people were all in their 70's and perhaps early 80's and every one of them seemed to have an ashtray piled high at the table in front of them.

I'll never forget the sight of this one particular old fossil, ambling along with an oxygen tank in tow and line attached to his nostrils, and the guy still had a lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth(!) What an awful way to live.

So that was one of those experiences that I'm thankful I had, that steered me clear away from ever picking up that habit.
    Giada: 57,967 Points (sorry about the previous thread.) Apr 10, 2016
    Blitzed: 22,197 Points (Nice anecdote.) Apr 11, 2016
  11. 313Chris Forum Veteran

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,396 / 55 / -19
    Water under the bridge, sorella. Much like a rock band that transcends the decades, so too must the The World Famous Beer Barrel endure it's bouts infighting and dysfunctionality.:agree: Besides, no way do we want to end up like those squares that populate the rest of the CofC...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. MadScienceType Trumpenkrieg

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +6,324 / 11 / -34
    Was never a heavy smoker, but quit anyway.

Haven't had a cig in a week, and in short, I fucking hate you all and everything about you. <jonesing>

I'm using the millennial/faggy vapor thing for now because it allows me to taper off without snapping at the family as you can lower the nicotine in the mix as you go. First step is to break the habit, which is working and second step is to break the addiction, which is also working. Hope to toss the vapor thing in a month or two.
  13. SonOfSam the doG talks to me

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +425 / 9 / -15
    Quit chewing tobacco 5 years ago. They say that shit is more addictive than heroine. I had night sweats and chills for 2 nights in a row when I quit cold turkey.

Day three was so bad I put a shotgun slug through the engine block of my lawn tractor when it pissed me off from not cranking.

Im a whole lot calmer now thank God. And I have more spending money instead of spending $35 a week on Copenhagen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk