‘Sugar-free’ and ‘diet’ sodas linked to diabetes

Discussion in 'Dr. Mengele's Laboratory' started by rust, Feb 26, 2013.

1. rust inactive

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,796 / 44 / -23
    Atkins used to caution in his books (even the earlier editions that were published in the 70's and 80's) that consumption of artificial sweeteners had the potential to stimulate the release of insulin and also the appetite, especially when consumed in excess. His theory in a nutshell was that the brain perceives sugars are being consumed, so the body responds accordingly. I do find it somewhat ironic that years later researchers are acting like they've discovered something new, considering that Atkins was once thought to be a kook by many nutritionists as well as the mainstream medical community -- his low carb diet was dangerous, it would clog your arteries, the whole concept was flawed, et cetera. Turns out that Atkins was correct about a whole lot of things, including his opinions on and advice against excessive consumption of artificial sweeteners.

Consumption of ‘light’ or ‘diet’ sodas may be linked to an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to new research.

The prospective study followed more than 65,000 European women for over 14 years, tracking their consumption of sugar-sweetened and artificially-sweetened (or sugar free) sodas and juices.

Published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the research finds that a higher than average intake of both sugar-sweetened and sugar free sodas is linked to an increased incidence of type 2 diabetes.

However, rather surprisingly, the authors also found that those consuming diet soda had an even higher incidence than those drinking ‘regular’ sugar sweetened soda.

Led by Françoise Clavel-Chapelon from France's National Institute of Health and Medical Research, the research team said they cannot currently rule out the possibility that factors other than artificially sweetened beverages consumption, “that we did not control for” are responsible for the association with diabetes.

“Randomized trials are required to prove a causal link between artificially sweetened beverages consumption and type 2 diabetes,” they said.

Study details
    The research tracked 66,118 women for more than 14 years, assessing their beverage habits using self-reported questionnaires that monitored consumption of 100% juice, sugar-sweetened drinks and artificially sweetened drinks.

By the end of the study period, 1,369 of the women were diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, the researchers revealed.

Clavel-Chapelon and his team revealed that both diet and sugar-sweetened beverage consumption was linked with a higher risk of developing diabetes.

However, when comparing diabetes risk between the diet soda drinkers and regular soda drinkers, the diet drinkers had an even higher risk, they said.

Meanwhile, the women who only reported drinking 100% juice did not have an increased risk of diabetes.

Source: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    Published online ahead of print, doi: 10.3945/​ajcn.112.050997
    “Consumption of artificially and sugar-sweetened beverages and incident type 2 diabetes in the Etude Epidémiologique auprès des femmes de la Mutuelle Générale de l'Education Nationale–European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort”
    Authors: Guy Fagherazzi, Alice Vilier, Daniela Saes Sartorelli, Martin Lajous, Beverley Balkau, Françoise Clavel-Chapelon
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Hawthorne Abendsen: 11,071 Points Feb 26, 2013
    tricknologist: 8,545 Points Mar 2, 2013
  2. SouthernStar Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +4,068 / 83 / -120
    I have never had a sugarless anything! Then again, my sugar intake is low and limited to brown sugar.

A colleague and friend who battled with weight loss for years was confirmed diabetic and he'd chuf down the supposedly sugar free beverages every day. He lost a lot of weight after the diagnosis and now eats loads of fruit.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. HerrKreuz Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +608 / 1 / -2
    If you're going to enjoy a soda or sugar bombed beverage, just enjoy it. I was quite obese for a good portion of my child-hood. I would guzzle twelve packs of diet Dr. Pepper, Root beer etc. a weekend. 2 days of 6 to 7 cans.

I stopped drinking soda all together and I feel a lot better. In addition to losing all the weight I had on me in my high school years. Dropping the soda cut a lot of crap off me by just eliminating that. I still drink sodas on holidays, or when I have a sweet tooth(seldomly), but thats all she wrote for that chapter on sodas.

I do like me a root beer float, or cream soda on the occasional times aforementioned.

Judging by the article dealing with European women, I doubt the regular sodas were filled with HFCS, but I would think fructose and legitimate sugar sucrose(my chemistry terms may be off, not sure) would be a hell of a lot better than an engineered artificial sweetener.
    Hawthorne Abendsen: 11,158 Points Feb 27, 2013
    Mrs. White: 2,204 Points Mar 2, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. LastChanceArmada Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +241 / 0 / -0
    Oldies on this thread might remember the original saccharine-laced "Tab' soda of the early 1980's -- yuck! I try to avoid artificial sweeteners altogether, although I haven't had nearly the horrible side effects from Sucralose that I did from a brief Diet Coke (i.e., aspartame) binge that I went on back in my early 20's when it dawned on me that I'd gained 15 lbs. of fat during my first sedentary year at an office job and thought switching to diet sodas was the answer. Not only did I not lose any weight, but after about two months of drinking that garbage regularly I felt like I was getting an ulcer and (worst of all) I had a series of disquieting muscle tremors.

I did buy a "pre-workout energizer" (Purple Wraath) recently that ended up having sucralose in it. I've been drinking it since I didn't want to hassle returning it but don't plan on buying any more.

Hint: for those of you not really in tune with natural foods, look for anything sweetened with stevia leaf. It's all natural with no toxic side effects and there's now a ton of products that are using it instead of artificial sweeteners.
    Hawthorne Abendsen: 11,158 Points (stevia, yes) Feb 27, 2013
    SouthernStar: 7,002 Points Feb 27, 2013
  5. Hawthorne Abendsen Number One Epic Sloth

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,621 / 43 / -341
    [IMG]
  6. Macrobius The Old Usager

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,533 / 43 / -218
    There is anecdotal evidence among older folk that artificial sweeteners (at least the ones common in diet sodas) cause heart palpitations. Just check out the internet to see what people are experiences [a good idea anyway]. We just don't allow that in our household for that reason -- sugared sodas (or better, iced tea) are tastier, in moderation, especially if made with cane sugar and not corn syrup, and if you shouldn't have it you can cut back and enjoy it once in a blue moon. The substitutes don't seem to be satisfactory and are best avoided altogether.

I'm old enough to remember my aunt used keep a bottle of cyclamates on the table. Nasty shit, that. It hasn't gotten better since either.

First hit for the search: nutrasweet+'heart palpitations': http://www.aspartamekills.com/warning.htm

175,000 more to go.
    BoydCrowder: -1 Points Mar 6, 2013
  7. chloeblossoms Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +448 / 464 / -396
    Correlation does not equal causation.

People who drink both diet soda and regular soda in excess probably have a lot of other unhealthy habits. I routinely see obese people pig out and order a diet coke with their meal.

I drink plenty of diet soda and have a sub-average BMI.
  8. chloeblossoms Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +448 / 464 / -396
    Akins was right in the sense that high fat does not equal weight gain automatically like people have been indoctrinated to believe. But people have gone off the deep end on the carbohydrate phobia. Fewer calories equals weight loss no matter where they come from. People experience weight loss on Atkins because they consumed too many of their calories in carbohydrates...which is in part due to the ridiculous unbalanced food pyramid propagated by the FDA.

I stay away from carbs and unnecessary saturated fat because I gain weight easily. I eat an entirely vegetarian diet. I like proteins that are lean (both saturated fat and carb light) like beans, lentils, seitan and tofu. Seitan has all the protein of a similarly sized portion of beef but none of the saturated fat.

Seitan or black bean burgers no bun with salad. That's how I roll.
  9. LastChanceArmada Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +241 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I would advise toning down the seitan and soy in favor of some good lean organic meats -- soy and wheat are bad food allergens and I'm convinced that soy is especially bad. Check out this article here: it's really been a false bill of sale as far as some sort of miracle meat substitute.

http://www.totalityofbeing.com/FramelessPages/Articles/SoyPoison.htm

I was a strict vegetarian (leaning towards veganism) for many years and was pretty healthy, although I found that no matter how skinny I got, I had this stubborn fat that would not leave my midsection (most people would have thought nothing of it but I am a pretty "extreme" person in the way I approach things and anything other than single-digit bodyfat and a 6-pack was unacceptable to me at the time.) I did "extreme" diets off and on and never found one that really promised its purported benefits so I basically just went back to just eating normally, although I kinda swung the other way for way too long (In the most recent example of this, over a year of eating little but fruit, nuts, and leafy greens left me longing for pizza and cheeseburgers.) Now, I just try to make it a point to eat healthily, and only eat a really bad "cheat meal" once a week. This is usually Wednesdays for some reason. Also, I try to make at least one meal a day a large salad.

I really wish there was some sort of "miracle diet" but I tried the raw vegan thing for some time and I don't think I accomplished much but spending $300 a week on organic fruits and vegetables. An ideal diet would probably be 50-70% raw vegan, with small amounts of nuts and seeds, whole grains, and lean chicken and fish. I know a couple of women in their 40's that eschew red meat and they are aging unbelievably well but whatever I'm doing seems to be working so I'm just running with it (I don't think I can give up steak and cheeseburgers totally.)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Aces High Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,111 / 60 / -180
    I have never been able to understand people pigging out on fried Mcshit and then order a diet coke with it....????????

Although what better to wash down that machine retreived meat and carbs than a bucket full of liquid sugar.

Whatever happened to people drinking water......that undervalued,subtle and freely available drink....?
    Mrs. White: 2,204 Points Mar 2, 2013
    Fitz: -6,323 Points Nov 27, 2013
  11. Atacoplease Artificial Turf Eater

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,071 / 61 / -122
    Well to be fair you are a hard working waitress and a vegetarian, so you are already have an upper hand compared to most Americans.
  12. Hawthorne Abendsen Number One Epic Sloth

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,621 / 43 / -341
    Not to mention the benefits of an Ivy League education.
    tricknologist: 8,545 Points (lol) Mar 2, 2013
  13. Dubhghall Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +610 / 7 / -26
    Also hasn't that chemical aspartame been shown to kill brain cells or something of that nature?
  14. rust inactive

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,796 / 44 / -23
    It's not great for you in excess. Hawth has posted this link before -- http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/01/19/the-shocking-story-of-how-aspartame-became-legal/
    The main reason why it gained acceptance in the states was because Donald Rumsfeld used to be CEO of Searle (manufacturer), and when he moved up the political food chain, Rumsfeld appointed an FDA commissioner who would finally approve its use.
    Dubhghall: 1,066 Points Feb 28, 2013
    Hawthorne Abendsen: 11,184 Points Feb 28, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. chloeblossoms Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +448 / 464 / -396
    Soy and wheat are bad food allergens for those who have soy/wheat allergies. Most people can tolerate them just fine. I have food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, fish/shellfish (which doesn't matter since I'm veg anyway), and sesame seeds, all of which can killl me. My sister raises 2 vegan children and one pescetarian who have wheat, dairy, egg and soy allergies (the pescetarian has them all and the vegan children have a few). We are a very atopy prone family with eczema, allergic asthma, food allergies etc...
  16. chloeblossoms Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +448 / 464 / -396
    Sorry, I just don't buy that aspartame in the quantities that people can physically drink is bad for anyone. I know "methanol" and "formaldehyde" sound very scary to lay people, but there are a ton of things that you ingest on a regular basis that are converted to small quantities of those chemicals and I'm sure most of you are just fine. For example, the char that you create by putting a piece of meat on a grill or very hot pan is far more carcinogenic.
    Edmonds Fitzgerald: -3,318 Points Feb 28, 2013
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  17. Macrobius The Old Usager

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +3,533 / 43 / -218
    I'm not sure the molar quantity of a substance correlates very well with its biological implications at the extreme end of the spectrum. Would you make the same argument about LSD?

*puts on Slim Pickens accent* 'There's probably more random LSD in the average Bob Evans meal than Timothy Leary ingested in his whole life. Seems like a fella could have a good weekend in Dallas with this here sausage.'

Uh, right.
    LastChanceArmada: 1,216 Points Mar 1, 2013
    rust: 9,227 Points Mar 1, 2013
    BoydCrowder: -1 Points Mar 6, 2013
  18. Atacoplease Artificial Turf Eater

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +9,071 / 61 / -122
    What sort of evidence would convince you?
    No doubt we intake a lot of things in large quantities that would harm including metropolitan air. It's not just meat they put on those Teflon Dons never doubt ;p.
  19. Aces High Bar Regular

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +5,111 / 60 / -180

Fucking hell.......i bet the pharmaceutical companies send you lot a christmas hamper every year for services rendered etc.
    Fitz: -6,323 Points Nov 27, 2013
  20. Steve Mountain's Pride

Message Count:
    Ratings Received:
    +377 / 1 / -4
    Diet Coke is disgusting, much like every other 'diet something' I have tried.

Rootbeer, Coke, Orangina are better with sugar, and I'm not fat, I don't have diebete either.
    tricknologist: 8,545 Points (true) Mar 2, 2013